Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

angry/happy about bp readings
cheesedips posted:
on april 4 its 140/96 with meds taken.at office for my company exam. week later its 112/72 with meds...only difference is i took the xanax i have prior to office visit..and today it was great again same protocol..so all this time i just need the xanax to relax before the exam...noone ever suggested this...

billh99 responded:
BP can fluctuate alot from time to time. And the official diagnoses of high BP requires reading at 3 different times.

And some people have what is called white coat hypertension. That is a form of anxiety when you are in the doctors office. Although the BP can be normal outside the office.

Studies have shown that white coat hypertension can lead to permanent hypertension.

You might want to learn some relaxation methods that you can practice all of the time and not just before a BP check.

bme1986 responded:
Hi cheesedips,

I am a biomedical engineer from the Johns Hopkins University that has spent much of the last year working closely with physicians developing a new blood pressure monitor that allows people to measure blood pressure with just their phone (no cuff needed). See the end of my message if interested in that.

To address your concern: Billh99 is right. Blood pressure fluctuates throughout the day for everyone. Many factors affect blood pressure. Unusually high spikes can and do occur for many people triggered by things like mental or physical stress. Most people don't know this because they only get to see their blood pressure readings very infrequently (usually at the doctor's office). If doctors had their way they would have a long running average of your blood pressure because this is a better indicator of your cardiovascular health. But unfortunately, patients don't always monitor their own blood pressure at home so the doctor takes their own measurements when you pay a visit to them and they have to rely on these infrequent readings to make decisions.

So if you take anything away from this: know that you shouldn't try to make conclusions based on one or two readings. Your best bet is to look at the trend of your own blood pressure over (and of course consult your doctor) to make any conclusion on what is working or not working for you.

If you are interested my team just released an app for Android phones called Instant Blood Pressure, which transforms your phone into a personal blood pressure monitor. So now you can use your phone to measure your blood pressure in seconds whenever and wherever you need to. No more need for an extra cuff device. You should consider using a tool like this to get a better sense of your blood pressure over time. You can get the app now on Google Play at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.instantbloodpressure.android.instantbp or see instantbloodpressure.com.

Best of luck!
bme1986

billh99 replied to bme1986's response:
Very interesting.

I have learned to track my BP readings and then discuss med changes with my doctors who usually agrees with my changes, both up and down.

When I was in cardiac rehad I started having anxiety at the start of the session. There where a couple of reasons for this. But the anxiety caused an increase in BP which inturn made the anxiety worse.

But at the same time I have have problems at night from two high of dosage.

The cardiologist office wanted to add another BP med. But when I went in to see my doctor with a chart of my BP morning and night he agrees with me that I should decrease my dosage.

kjme11374 responded:
Likely it is "white coat" syndrome. If you are overweight, even losing some weight will make a difference.......With practice you can do it without the Xanax. Start by trying to figure out WHY you get stressed before doc visit.

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center