Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Home BP machines
chopperbobby posted:
I asked this question before, but I did not get any response from a health care professional, so here I go again.
We have a home BP device, and we try to measure our BP daily, but the results are not always the same. I can take my BP 5 times in a row, one immediately after the other and get a wide variance of readings.
I am thinking that I am wasting my time.
Are there any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bob Burns

cjh1203 responded:
I don't know why you would get such varied readings. You might ask a pharmacist about it the next time you go to the drugstore.

There are no health professionals on this board, I'm afraid.

kjme11374 responded:
Not a professional but this article may help:>

http://mdifdirect.blogspot.com/2009/05/inconsistent-blood-pressure-readings.html

Be consistent about how/when you take BP. The one idea in the article that surprised me was about making sure your bladder is empty.

kjme11374 replied to kjme11374's response:
Forgot to add.....Take your BP meter with you to doctor.......check it against his/her meter.

chopperbobby replied to cjh1203's response:
I don't know why you would get such varied readings. You might ask a pharmacist about it the next time you go to the drugstore.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Bob

chopperbobby replied to kjme11374's response:
Not a professional but this article may help:
Thank you for the reply.
When I take my BP I follow the outlines in the link you provided. Not exactly, but very close.
We have an automatic type of machine, so it should be consistent, but it is not.
I have a doctor's appointment soon, and I will take the contraption with me for comparison.
I e-mailed the company that made the machine asking this same question, but I did not receive a reply.
Thank you,
Bob

billh99 replied to chopperbobby's response:
Certain heart rate patterns can confuse the home style BP monitors. Most likely this is mentioned in the manual.

When you take multiple readings in a row you need to wait 1-2 minutes between readings.

When you go to the doctors have the nurse take your BP, Then take it with your machine. Then have the nurse take it agian and then take it again with yours. Depending on what you get you might want to repeat this a couple of more times.

When talking to the doctor ask him if he things getting an ambulatory BP test done would be useful.

chopperbobby replied to billh99's response:
Certain heart rate patterns can confuse the home style BP monitors. Most likely this is mentioned in the manual.
I do have PVC which might, as you say, affect the readings, but the same erratic readings happen to my wife as well, so I don't think that has an effect.

When you take multiple readings in a row you need to wait 1-2 minutes between readings.
I have not been waiting that long between readings, but I'll try it next time.

When you go to the doctors have the nurse take your BP, Then take it with your machine. Then have the nurse take it agian and then take it again with yours. Depending on what you get you might want to repeat this a couple of more times.
I will do that.

When talking to the doctor ask him if he things getting an ambulatory BP test done would be useful.
I will ask him. He is monitoring my BP anyway, and he wants me to try lowering my BP through diet and exercise, and avoid any BP meds is possible.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center