Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High Blood Pressures (Seriously High) During Menstral Cycles Only
dee22552255 posted:
Please Help. My 35 yr. old daughter has been dealing with her BP going into the 150's - 160's/100's for 1 1/2 years now ONLY during her periods. When this happens she doesn't feel well at all and has really bad headaches. No one can figure it out. She has had her hormones tested (normal) and an MRI of her brain for lesions (clear). She was on birth control pills for 20 years for irregular periods when this started. A scan found a lesion on her liver they attribute to that long on the birth control pills, so she is no longer on them. BP medications make her heart hurt but doesn't lower her BP so she is no longer on them. My younger daughter (32) has POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) which suddenly drops her BP and she passes out, period or not. That is not what my older daughter is suffering with.

When I Googled this I found a thread of sooo many women having the same problem during their periods but there were no diagnosis posted.

Has anyone here been having the same problem and gotten a diagnosis? We are desperate to find an answer.

1 neurologist did order a Tilt Table Test (TTT) but the cardiologist who was supposed to do the test refused saying there is no reason to do it because it doesn't matter if she is positive or negative; there is no treatment. The Doctor who ordered the test has moved to a new hospital so my daughter is in limbo on this test. She is a very healthy person who is at her perfect weight, exercises regularly, no booze, no tobacco use, no caffeine use, she doesn't even like to take Tylenol, and is nearly full vegetarian.

Any one who has this problem and has gotten a diagnosis, please share.

Thank you so much.

colemaninc responded:
Need to check vitamin levels especially D. I know a good source of vitamins and minerals that have been known to regulate blood pressure.

Vitamin deficiency is one of the leading causes.

bkarr1 replied to colemaninc's response:
What is the "good source of vitamins and minerals that abe been known to regulate blood pressure"?

billh99 replied to bkarr1's response:
The best source of vitamins and minerals is from eating a variety of real foods.

dee22552255 responded:
Thanks all but her labs for vitamin D and everything else have all been checked. She is healthy as a horse and eats very healthy. The point is she ONLY has these BP problems DURING her menstrual cycle. I believe she has Hyper POTS.

Has anyone been having these same problems and gotten a diagnosis?

Thank you.

jolynemae responded:
I also have the same thing going on and I am 34 yrs. I've tried talking to doctors about this and I get no answers. My blood pressure goes up right before I get my period. It stays high through my whole period. I'm currently on BC due to irregular periods.

dee22552255 replied to jolynemae's response:
Her BC has been stopped and that hasn't changed anything. Have you heard of POTS? Have your doctor check your BP sitting, then immediately after you stand up. If there is a big difference, this could be a start for you getting a DX. I wish you all the best of luck. If you get anywhere with this, please let me know.

Thank you.

Helpful Tips

Sleep Apnea and Uncontrolled hypertension
Greetings!! I have had about all the symptoms, testing that you all are talking about. Go to a good Sleep /Pulmonary Physician because ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center