Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

183/ 148 Newby
meredith81 posted:
I am 32 years old, female, and have had picture perfect blood pressure my whole life. My blood pressure is spiking sometimes over 200 three or four times a week. My doctor doesn't know what is going on, but we are looking for the cause for the past month and a half. Several blood tests, and urine tests later, we are still trying to find what is causing it. So far we have an average of 183 / 148 this week. I am on Clonodine, and Propanalol to help with blood pressure and a beta blocker. My kidney function is getting worse, and pain is getting pretty bad also. So I have decided to sign up on here, and try to research some things that I can do to help here at home while he is doing the medical stuff. I am instructed to take my blood pressure three times daily previous to my meds. And take pain meds when it gets too much. I am not allowed to take any over the counter meds, including vitamins until we know more. Are there any natural things I can do to help or exercises that attribute to getting back on the positive side? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

billh99 responded:
Two things that other people that have had high spike BP have reported as the cause.

A blocked kidney artery.
And tumor on the adrenal gland.

Also when you record your BP also record everything that you drink and eat. To see if there is any kind of allergy or sensitivity.

. I am on Clonodine, and Propanalol to help with blood pressure and a beta blocker.

Propanalol is a Beta Blocker.

Are there any natural things I can do to help or exercises that attribute to getting back on the positive side?

The standard things are healthing eating, losing weight - if needed, and physical exercise. But that is for common "essential hypertension".

But essential hypertension does not have the pattern that you have.

Anxiety and stress can increase BP. And while I don't suspect that is your primary cause for you the problem it can certainly add to your stress.

So you might try some relaxation exercise such as meditation or deep breathing exercises.

kjme11374 replied to billh99's response:
I assume your doctor has given you a COMPLETE medical check-up. R U under a lot of stress? R U overweight? Do you smoke? Do you have a family history of High BP, etc.

One thing you can do is to totally cut added salt out of your diet. And start reading food labels CAREFULLY for salt/sodium content. The lower in fat for some foods, the higher in sodium. And even unsalted products have SOME salt.

I would not take any "natural" things unless you check with doctor.

Some articles for you:

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/blood-pressure-causes

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/SymptomsDiagnosisMonitoringofHighBloodPressure/What-are-the-Symptoms-of-High-Blood-Pressure_UCM_301871_Article.jsp

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/anxiety/faq-20058549

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center