Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

how to lower my blood pressure
kristen5768 posted:
I'm 21 not overweight I'm 135 and 5"3 I went to the doctors and had bp 130 over 105 and after a couple months went on high blood pressure meds I had a lot of tests wondering why I'm so young and have high bp but it came to that I inherited it but I've been on the meds for 2 month now and still have a bp of 135 over 85ish I've tried eating healthy and I work out so i don't know what else to do? any suggestions?

Take the Poll

could someone give me any other suggestions to lower my blood pressure or should I go back to the doctor?
  • go on diet
  • go to doctor
vote
View Poll Results

kjme11374 responded:
More water, cut out ALL salt and try not to eat processed foods that have a lot of salt.

I have no medical training, but it is my PERSONAL OPINION that bp meds SHOULD have lowered it a bit, even with "inherited" high BP. Have you talked to family members about it. What did THEY do?

YOU really don't need a poll (even though I voted for doctor) the answer is BOTH. Diet and doctor......

if you don't already do so, take your bp every day at same time, and keep track of it...

This article may help you understand your BP. But please make appt with doctor, then come back here and let us know.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/AboutHighBloodPressure/Understanding-Blood-Pressure-Readings_UCM_301764_Article.jsp

billh99 responded:
For blood pressure control it helps if you do both aerobic and resistance (strength) exercises. And while any kind of aerobic is helpfull, It helps to have some higher intensive work.

For example, if you mostly walk throw in a jog of a minute every so often.

And if you can get out an exercise in park or nature path. Being outdoors, in nature, help you relax and reduce stress more than in a gym.

For a diet, more most persons the amount of potassium to sodium is more important than the absolute of sodium.

Replacing prepared and processed foods with fresh fruits and veggies helps both reduce sodium and increase potassium intake.

135/85 is within guidelines, but lower would be better.

Do you have a home BP machine to check it several times a day.

Studies have shown that for most people, taking at least some of BP meds at nighttime gives you better BP control. But don't take a diuretic at night or else you will be getting up during the night.

Look for stress and anxiety in your life. The idea is to eliminate stress, but rather to recognize and respond in a healthy way.

Since you are within guidelines wait a couple of months to see how things work out before going back to the doctor.

crunchyodin responded:
I am very sorry to hear about your problem. High blood pressure runs in my family, too. Some friends and I are working on a building a tool to help people cope with it better. Would you find it helpful to have an online tool that helped you find recipes, plan meals, and set up daily goals to help you reduce your blood pressure?

Thanks!
Dave

atti_editor responded:
You've already received some really great advice and information from other members, but I thought I would leave some links to WebMD information that I think you may find helpful:

Best wishes,

Atti

Helpful Tips

Sleep Apnea and Uncontrolled hypertension
Greetings!! I have had about all the symptoms, testing that you all are talking about. Go to a good Sleep /Pulmonary Physician because ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center