Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Changing Meds... PLEASE read and help!
certainbubbles posted:
Hi everyone! I am totally new here, and I have a question! This might be long, PLEASE stick with me! A little background... I have had tachycardia for many years, and developed hypertension about 4 years ago. I have been on Metoprolol Tartrate for those 4 years. I take 50 mg/twice a day. It controls my bp most of the time, usually running anywhere from 105/68 to 120/80 or so. Lately, an hour or so before my next dose, my heart rate goes way up. Like, 125-150 bpm.... My heart will beat so fast and hard, that it literally HURTS. My bp will go up to 140/88 or so when this happens.. and of course when it does that, I get anxious and it just makes it worse! (I do have anxiety and panic disorder as well...) After taking my medicine, and sometimes a xanax, it goes back on down.

I went to my GP today, and he wants me to change to the Metoprolol Succinate which is the extended release version. He wants me to try a 50 mg ER tablet a day, and see how that works for me. I am confused! I figured I would need the 100 mg ER tablet, since I am taking 100 mg a day now. Will this be safe? I guess the reason I am asking is because it looks like that's a smaller dose, and I don't want any of the bp/heart rate side effects that go along with decreasing your dosage... If any of you have ANY advice, I would certainly appreciate it. He's also referring me to a cardiologist...

I am having surgery in a week, and need to get all this worked out before I am put under anesthesia... Thank you in advance!!

billh99 responded:
No medical professional normally responds in this forum.

I have not researched this and you might want to look the two up on RXLIST.COM, but is not easy to read.

It might be to the difference in bio-availability of the two forms. That is the active level of the standard version might drop so quickly that you need 50 mg to have any effect at the end of 12 hours.

And that with the long lasting version the blood level is maintained with the lower dose.

I have not researched this and you might want to look the two up on RXLIST.COM, but is not easy to read.

Try asking your pharmacist (chemist). If that does not help call your doctors office and ask his nurse about this.

Helpful Tips

Top 17 Home Remedies for Low Blood Pressure
One of the leading causes of deaths, not only in America but worldwide, is heart complication. This may pertain to heart attack, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center