Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

When is blood pressure high enough to require emergency room?
wow1115 posted:
I am a 26 year old male, and am pretty over weight. I have had high blood pressure for years now, but it has been regulated for the longest time. For the past year or so however it has been rising. I don't think that my doctor knows really what the best thing to do is, because he just seems to be adding more and more pills. I am trying to change diet and excersize but that takes time. Anyway, now I am on three different blood pressure pills, plus a water pill. Well the last month or so, it has been really high. It has been averaging around 160's over 130's. Also my pulse has been averaging around 120. I have a home nurse that checks it once a week. Todays reading was 167/123 pulse 122. They seem to think that this isn't a big deal, but i'm really worried about it. With my weight, and family history i'm really concerned. I brought this up to my doctor and he just says its just anxiety making it high. Sometimes i can feel my heart beating really fast, and that scares me. Sometimes i get short of breath and dizzy, however these symptoms are not there all the time. I am just concerned that it is this high even with all the medication. At what point, should I seek more immediate medical attention? How can I lower it on my own, and not worry about it so much? Also I have had ringing in my ears off and on today. I don't want to go to the er, because they will just say its anxiety. Any adivice would be appreciated.

cjh1203 responded:
It is possible that your increased blood pressure and other symptoms are being caused by anxiety -- those are all symptoms of anxiety/panic attacks -- but it would probably be a good idea to see another doctor in order to get an outside opinion.

I would say that the most important thing for you, though, is to see a nutritionist right away. Once you lose even some weight, your symptoms will probably lessen noticeably. You will also feel less anxious if you know you're doing something positive to get your symptoms under control, and you start seeing some weight coming off.

billh99 responded:
It is hard to tell if you are just having anxiety or are having "real" symptoms which is giving you anxiety.

There are a number of ways to help control anxiety. Get a copy of The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson.

And you need to start exercising. Even if that just means a short walk at the start. And that will help loose weight, control BP, and lose weight.

And check your diet. No sweetened beverages, or any products with added sugar or made with white flour.

Lots of veggies and watch the portion size.

Helpful Tips

Don't be afraid...you're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center