Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High Blood Pressure Question
patriots51463 posted:
Hi,

I'm looking for advice more so than an answer to a question. I'm 51 and maybe 40 pounds overweight. I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure a number of years ago and was prescribed 40mg of Lisinopril. I monitor my BP at home and it averages around 135/80 to 140/90 I have always had white coat syndrome when I go to the Dr. My last visit to my new primary care the number was 175/110. I told him that I have always had crazy reading when at the doctors but at home it averages the numbers that I stated above. I'm not sure whether he believes me or not because he wants to put me on 25mg of Chlorthalidone along with my Lisinopril. I have read nightmare stories about diuretics and am very anxious about taking them. I suppose my question is this. Is my BP really high enough to necessitate the risks associated with Chlorthalidone? FYI, I did bring my monitor to the doctors with me and it was only two points off from his.

billh99 responded:
At 140/90 it is already at a point that additional treatment might be considered.

I have read nightmare stories about diuretics and am very anxious about taking them.

What kind of nightmare stories. I have not hear of any and in general duretics are fairly safe.

I was on HCTZ for a while with out any problems. It is in the sa,me class as the Chlorathalidone.

However, you do realize that losing some of that weight and exercise can probably reduce your need for BP meds.

Even losing 10-20 lbs can make a big difference.

patriots51463 replied to billh99's response:
I do realize losing the weight and exercise will make a big difference. I'm on 40mg lisinopril now and the Dr. prescribed the diuretic but I think I'm going to go with the diet and exercise route before jumping on to another drug along side what I'm taking now. I started eating mostly grilled chicken and salads as well as walking 2 miles a day eight days ago. I've lost six pounds and my BP today was 123/74. Now I'm 5'7 and weigh 220 pounds so I have a ways to go but its not a sprint it's a marathon right! lol

Thanks for the advice.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center