Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High blood pressure associated with chronic sinusitis ?
cymenthy posted:
I am a 68 year old female battling spiking blood pressure. My blood pressure generally runs a little high, from 147/80 to 167/90. However, over the last few weeks it has spiked to 211/111, and one night to 215/102. On this occasion, I called an ambulance, and when they finally got here, it was 205/100. I spent most of the night in the hospital.

I was originally on 10mg Bystolic. When it spiked the first time, 10mg lisinipril was added in the morning, with the Bystolic at night. Then, when that did not work, an extra Bystolic was added. That has not worked.

I have chronic sinusitis, which usually is followed by ear problems. I have had pneumonia twice this year. For over a year, I have had episodes of terrible tastes in my mouth, to the end that all food tastes spoiled. Cotton mouth, much burning is a problem. This is no longer sporadic, but constant. My eyes are puffy, with small, swollen pockets around my eyes, with purple colored areas around my eyes.

I also have cataplexy, and use a CPAP at night. At first, I worried that the Xyrem might be at fault, but the time line of the readings don't compute. My pressure is the lowest in the morning, after taking the medicine, and the highest about 7:00 p.m.

Everyone looks at me like I am crazy when I tell them I think it is caused by my sinus condition. I have a constant post nasal drip. I can't take Sudafed for fear it will raise blood pressure. I can't take Benedryl, because it makes me sleepy, and can't take it with the Xyrem. My life was unmanageable before the Xyrem.

I broke my hip last September and had it pinned, and got along well, until the pinched nerve in my back became apparent. I had an epidural last week for that, and another scheduled. Also a pinched nerve in my neck, an a rotator cuff tear.

Darn, I'm a mess! But not giving up. I am not a knitting, rocking chair granny! I have a lot of adventures I want to explore, so I need some help. I do have a squeezed in appointment with my cardiologist in a few days, but I want to know more then I do now before I go. I am worried he will think I know nothing.

Thank you

undefined responded:
I hope you have found out your answer because I too am having my bp spike to scary numbers. I probably should have gone to the er but I didn't I think my spike 193/101 was caused by my sinuses. A dr told me years ago sinus problems can cause you bp to rise. But the spiking is scary. I just emailed my dr and hope by Mon I get an answer.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center