Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High BP
An_258428 posted:
Hi,
I have been diagnosed with Hypertension recently. Being a newbie I am little worried about how to manage it, take medications regularly, go to walk regularly etc etc. The doctor has strongly asked me to make significant changes in my lifestyle and asked me to go on DASH eating plan. I am not used taking medications daily.
So I was searching the internet to find out an app that can help me manage this chronic beast. I found one app on Android called "Jivayu" that claims to help me manage my hypertension. It says that it can remind me of medications daily and it can remind me to be active. It also claims that it can provide me a report that I can take to the doctor on the next visit which will have charts for BP, activity and sleep in a single page.
Has anybody used this app? I am looking for some advice on ways to manage Hypertension.

billh99 responded:
Studies that shown that taking at least one of your BP meds at night gives better control.

But you don't want to take a diuretic at night unless you like getting up at night to go.

Pick a time(s) (at bedtime, at breakfast, etc) and keep your meds at that location.

As far as diet, the main thing is to mostly east unprocessed foods. Basically anything WITHOUT ingredients that you can't pronounce it's name.

Watch the saturated fats, salt/sodium, added sugars, and products with white flour.

But you want to eat foods with healthy fats (mono and poly-unsaturated). Nuts, fatty fish, avocados, olive oil.

I have not used that app, but looking at the description it looks like it might help.

kjme11374 replied to billh99's response:
change your way of eating, more (or SOME) exercise, BP monitoring. I'm sure DASH is good diet - the key thing for DASH is BP, losing weight is secondary.

if the APP is free, try it. especially if it reminds you to take meds.

get a BP monitor and keep a spreadsheet. take BP daily. I personally like the WRIST monitor, but I would ask your doctor if that one is good for you.

I follow WEIGHT WATCHERS. of course, they are about losing weight, but if you follow whatever plan you folow, CUT SALT OUT OF YOUR DIET - I even cut out salt substitute., In my case my BP DID lower to a good range. If you dont need to lose, then DASH would work. Be careful with cholesterol. An average large egg can be around 195mg of cholesterol, that is (in my opinion) too much. I also cut out eggs. I use egg whites and egg beaters.

Be VERY VERY careful of processed foods (frozen and canned). They can VERY HIGH in SODIUM.

Learn to read nutrition labels. Even "No sodium" products have SOME sodium. The lower in fat for a food, usually it is higher in sodium. Be VERY careful of deli meats. even the "low sodium" versions are too high in sodium.

AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION diet is similar to WW.
http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/American_Heart_Association_Diet

more fresh fruits, veg. Find other things to "flavor" foods, such as lemon, pepper, paprika...whatever you like. (I PERSONALLY like WINCO's bulk spices and in particular their Chili-lime.

DIETS don't work. changing your way of eating does.
WW recommends 2 tsp of "healthy oil" per day. Not sure what DASH recommends, 2 tsp is 10g of fat.....

DISCLAIMER: This all works for ME. As with any "diet" check with your doctor.

cjh1203 replied to kjme11374's response:
I'm curious as to why you advise the poster to be careful with cholesterol. Cholesterol in food does not cause high cholesterol in our blood, and we need dietary cholesterol for good health. Your advice is based on old science that has since been debunked, and eggs are now considered to be very good for us.

vn_3127 replied to billh99's response:
After researching little bit more, I downloaded this app "Jivayu" and have been using it for last 2 weeks. This app sounds like a good solution for a newbie like me. It reminds me to take the medications by popping reminders. It also tells me how many times did I miss the medication last week. This is helpful. Now I need to start tracking my activity levels. Any recommendations on which activity tracker should I buy? There are quite a few of them in the market place - Fitbit, Jawbone, Samsung Wear, Garmin Vivofit.

billh99 replied to vn_3127's response:
And many other.

I have seen number of articles that compare the different activity trackers, but I don't remember where.

Google on - activity tracker comparisons - or fitness tracker comparisons - should help.

But the main thing is to find one that fits your lifestyle - both current and desired.

Some will only track walking, some swimming, stair climibing, cycling. Some can only be worn on wrist. Other on clothing. Some or water proof.

Some only report via a smart phone and/or web. Other also have a readout to you can see if you are meeting your goals.

Some will track sleep, etc.

But in reality the important thing is if you will use it (or without it) and modify your activities.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center