Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

spiked blood pressure and heart rate at the gym
frankie2110 posted:
Hi all I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I've been doing some walking and healthy diet for the last three months. I've dropped about 35 lbs. While at the gym on Thursday I had a spike of heart rate which read 190 don't know how accurate. Now I don't know if it was caused from working out too hard with weights and cardio, but when I saw 5 he number of the heart rate and got very light headed I freaked out and managed to make it to the trainers room. Thought I was having a heart attack. I suffer from extreme anxiety. They called an ambulance and my BP spiked to 210/120. However in the ambulance after calming down it was 159/97 and later dropped more. Did a bunch of tests at the er and everything was normal. I guess my question is can this be normal from a strenuous workout combined with little sleep, anxiety and the fact I didn't eat for 6 hours before working out? The er doctor told me I could go home but I've felt weak the last few days. BP and heart rate have been normal.

billh99 responded:
There is a number of things that could be causing that. It might be caused by aniety. But it can also be a caused by irregular heart rate.

The ER is only good at treating what is seen at that instant. But not good at finding transient problems.

If you have a PCP make an appointment with him. If not see a cardiologist.

frankie2110 replied to billh99's response:
Thanks for the response!! I forgot to mention I've done numerous tests with my doc as well. I've have all sorts of blood tests, x rays, I did ECG out of the hospital, in the ambulance several times and at the hospital several times. All came back normal. I did not at any time lose consciousness while working out.

billh99 replied to frankie2110's response:
It sounds like this was a one time event. Which could be caused by stress, hdyration, tiredness, type and time of last meal, "minor" bug, etc.

If you get more of these events then you need to ask for a Holter or event recorder test.

These are small EKG's, about the size of pack of cigarettes, but with only 4 leads. The Holter you wear for 24/48 hours and it records continously. The event recorder is similar but you can wear it for much longer. It only keeps data for a short period of time. When you have an event you push a button and it freezes the data.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center