Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Prednisone and Blood pressure/meds
jnskthrn27 posted:
My rheumatologist has placed me on prednisone to get my inflammation under control temporarily. I haven't been able to find information but would like to know if this will affect my blood pressure or affect the way my blood pressure medication works. It has been a couple days and I do notice my blood pressure slightly higher than normal since starting back from when I started the BP medicine. I am not in a dangerous high number or anything but still concerned and want to be sure it won't get higher. Also can missing a day of BP medicine earlier this week throw my good BP out the window? Would missing the one dose mess me up?

Thanks to any who can answer.

run2bhealthy4life responded:
Here is a great article about prednisone - it looks like it can cause blood pressure to rise. www.gihealth.com/html/education/drugs/prednisone.html Good luck!

Lesliebones responded:
I have been taking prednisone for asthma since the start of 2009. I wish I had taken the time to research the side effects of prednisone. It can be a geat medication for bringing down inflammation, but you need to be aware of how to gradually get off it and know what the side effects so they don't catch you blind sided. It is good you are monitoring your BP. I developed gastritis, fast heart rate, and hypertension. For me the hypertension set in at 7 weeks when the gastritis came to a head. I have the gastritis calmed down, but the hypertension is still present and worsening. Sorry I don't know about your BP meds.

Helpful Tips

Student looking for Opinions
I am a student at Brown University in Providence, RI, USA doing a project on constant blood pressure monitoring. Instead of using a blood ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center