Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Menstruation and blood pressure
livingwithhyper posted:
I am managing my hypertension with medication, exercise and diet. But I just experienced a spike in my BP reading that lasted four days. Today when I started menstruating, my numbers went down to where they'd been. I've read that menstruation can cause low blood pressure, so I wonder if the build-up to menstruation can cause blood pressure to go up as well?

oceanblue1971 responded:
I have often wondered that myself. Besides the normal PMS symptoms, my BP has gone up a little bit too but then it comes back down when starting my period. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else. :pbpt:

run2bhealthy4life responded:
I did a little research and it looks like what you have noticed is normal. Here is a quote from Harvard Health: "During a woman's menstrual cycle, minimal changes may occur in her blood pressure. Small studies have noticed a slight rise in blood pressure near the time of ovulation and during the weeks following ovulation, known as the "luteal phase." Blood pressure changes during those times are not large enough to be important to your health, or to warrant adjustments in the dose of blood pressure medication. Small increases in blood pressure can be explained by differences in the concentration of three hormones in the body: testosterone, renin, and angiotensin." www.healthcentral.com/high-blood-pressure/question-answer-27153-63.html

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
46 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center