Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High Blood Pressure and Elavated Liver Function
An_192017 posted:
Hi. I'm a 30 year-old, relatively fit male who recently has had some high blood pressure readings. I had back to back days of 122/100. I started having headaches and dizziness so I went to the ER (Its is pretty much our walk-in clinic in our small town). They gave me linsopril(sp) because my blood pressure was as high as 160/90 there. They also took a blood test and CT scan. The CT scan showed I had a workign brain so that's always nice to show the wife. However, The blood test showed that I had elevated liver function. I took the results to my doctor the next day. They seemed to think my blood pressure was elevated because I am comig off taking Effexor, which I can see. However, they didn't seem to think the elevated liver function was a big deal. It has kinda scared me. They said to stay on the BP meds and come back for a BP check in a week. I go back in 5 weeks to do a fasting blood test for liver and cholestorol.

The reason why I said all this is that the doctors were kind of relaxed about the liver function being elevated. I don't know how high is too high, but on the blood test results, my reading was 19 points over required range (meassured at 67). Should I get a 2nd opinion and get this checked out sooner, or could all of this be caused by coming of Effexor (anit-depresent)? Any input would be great!!!

Thanks

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Anon_21928,

Perhaps when you go back in to get your BP checked you should ask about the liver function? Also, you may want to consider whether or not the doctor(s) found any signs of liver problems other than the elevated test.

If you feel uncomfortable waiting that long, then definitely get a second opinion. It is your liver and your life.

Keep that great sense of humor!

Byroney

KDeeee7777 responded:
Hi...
I take a cocktail of B/P meds which do a great job....but occasionally I get a "wonky" alk/phos (which is a liver test. I had every test in the book looking for bad stuff...and they never found anything. When I reduced certain drugs....my liver function went back to normal...when I went back to a higher dosage it was more elevated.

finally talked to someone who said...if it is only the alk/phos and everything else is fine and it responds to medication changes....don't worry. Lots of meds make the liver "unhappy"...but it repairs self well. Happy Blood Pressure is a Good Thing!
KDEE

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center