Skip to content


Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

What can a hypertensive person do/take to stay awake longer?
sarasherra posted:
Is there a "safe" way that a hypertensive person can use in order to stay awake for a longer period of time (as to study for an exam and so) since caffeine and taurine,etc... are off limit. Any help would be really appreciated.
Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Sarasherra,

I know that everyone wishes for that energy boost to get them through studying for an exam or writing a term paper. Unfortunately, I think that the best way to maximize your energy level is through a healthy diet, the right amount of sleep and exercise as well as a lowered stress level.

If you are on medication that might be causing you to feel sleepier than usual, I would definitely talk to your doctor and see if there is an alternative.

Here is a link to an article which talks about energy products and what is really in them. Hopefully, seeing the insignificance of many of these products will make you feel better about not taking them.

Best Wishes!
sarasherra replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you very much for your effort, Amelia, it is greatly appreciated. That article was really good, but i was looking for a similar article that somehow discussed that topic relating it to hypertension. I'm looking for something that would give an energy boost without affecting the heart rate and blood pressure, i.e. "safe for a person with hypertension". Do you know of any?

Again, thanks a lot Amelia :)
yours, Sara

Helpful Tips

Don't be're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center