Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Includes Expert Content
BLOOD PRESSURE SPIKES
greeneyedbat posted:
I have random spikes in blood pressure, anywhere from normal up 145, as often as two to three times a week. I'm talking about spikes that bounce up and down in the matter of minutes going from 141/83 down to 113/81 then up to 135/95 over the course of 15 minutes, while sitting quietly at the table. On other days my BP holds pretty steady around 103/72 - 117/70 over the course of 15 minutes sitting at the table. I didn't even know this was happening till one day when I went to the gynecologist for my annual check up and my BP was150. The nurse asked if I was taking my medication and I asked what medication. Of course I wasn't taking any medication, I had always had relatively low BP. After that I started checking my BP regularly every time I went to Safeway and noticed that there were times when my BP was high and times when it was low. Eventually I bought a (Omron) home monitor and started monitoring my BP more closely. That's when I discovered my BP would bounce between high and low in a matter of minutes. So my question is this. Are these spikes something I should be concerned about, and how long does your BP have to be high (5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days) before your at risk for a stroke of heart attack? I'm 57 years old.

DUKE MEDICINE
Christopher O'Connor, MD responded:
Spikes in BP should be investigated for possible underlying causes. Please seek the advice of your health care provider.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi greeneyedbat,

You should definitely consult your doctor about these spikes that you are having with your blood pressure.

Here is an Overview on Hypertension/High Blood Pressure from the WebMD Hypertension Health Center that will give you more information on what to look for, what may be some causes as well as some treatments.

HYPERTENSION/HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE OVERVIEW
http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/tc/high-blood-pressure-hypertension-overview

This article does say that, "For your doctor to confirm that you have high blood pressure, your blood pressure must be at least 140/90 on three or more separate occasions. It is usually measured 1 to 2 weeks apart."

I hope that this information helps you have a better understanding of high blood pressure so that you can speak with your physician about your concerns and continue to live a healthy, happy life. Good luck and keep us posted!
Best Wishes! Amelia

greeneyedbat replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:

Thank you for getting back to me. I read the information you suggested and it states, " For your doctor to confirm that you have high blood pressure, your blood pressure must be at least 140/90 on three or more separate occasions. It is usually measured 1 to 2 weeks apart." Right now, I haven't been to obsessive about checking my BP. For the past week or so, I've only been taking about 12 readings over a period of 15 minutes every other day. If I were to do this a couple times a day, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find, that on the days that my BP is bouncing up and down that it would hit 140/90 several times. Because on the days when my BP is bouncing up and down, over a 15 minute period it will go from normal one minute, to Hypertensive the next, then down to pre Hypertensive, then maybe down to normal then back up to Hypertensive etc, etc. all over the course of 12 readings. However, on most days my BP isn't bouncing up and down and usually holds pretty steady at around 103/72 - 117/70, I therefore would be hesitant to tell my doctor that it hits 140/90 or higher several times a week, because I would be reluctant to take any medication he may prescribe, for fear that it would lower my more consistent "normal" BP and put me at risk of going into shock. That is what blood pressure medicine does right, lowers your blood pressure? If so, wouldn't it lower normal or low blood pressure as well?

An_192031 replied to greeneyedbat's response:
have the same situation. I'm 65/female.
i always read bp can fluctuate, but never how much.

i've been making great efforts to keep it lower[ veggies, exercise, meditating , losing wght> , and it is now often 117/77 or much less.
and so the 'spikes' are also less.
i used to be 150/85-90 on very rare 'white coat/doc' visits. no wi am more often 130/80, so less of a spike.

I also wore a montor for a month, and obsessively recorded my bp until cardiologist said to stop. i did bring in all my readings. some were higher of course; most were decent. he said they looked fine!

susandala replied to An_192031's response:
oh, and i just got a cholesterol report: my few months of eating really well, lots of veggies, and very low chicken or fish/eggs, lots of complex grains, flax seed, nuts and very little or no sugar.., my numbers are great! 144 total, 76 ldl, 47 hdl, triglyc 104, and ratios that are very heart safe!
so it was worth it for that response.

it's also very easy to lose w/ wght w/ beans, whole grains, lo fat and veggies.

greeneyedbat replied to An_192031's response:
Hay, thanks for the input. I suppose that's a question in it's self, just how much BP fluctuation is normal. Thanks for the info on how lifestyle changes can narrow the fluctuations. I'm not all the health conscious, I mean I try to watch what I eat and I try to engage in some form of physical activity every day whether it be walking, gardening or house cleaning. I try to stay within my caloric intake but I do indulge in the occasional goodie now and then. I've always understood that a healthy lifestyle can help lower your BP, and like I said my BP is usually pretty good. However, I did not know that it can help close the gap in those wild BP fluctuations. I like veggies, guess I'll start eating more of them. I would have responded sooner, but I was out of town. Thanks again!

jankenny responded:
want an answer to this as well.

WeHo2013 responded:
I have been dealing with spikes too. About a month ago I wound up in the ER when it spiked and I was very dizzy, the room was spinning and I couldn't stand up or walk. I just started a blog and I have two posts on it about blood pressure spikes. You can go to my blog and read them at http://www.holisticseniors.com. I hope you my posts will help you.

marklowell responded:
@greeneyedbat

I know this is an outdated thread, but can't help but to add my 2 cent to this.

I personally think it's important to note what happens surrounding these spikes. Take exercise - you do any type of cardio, your blood pressure's gonna spike. Obviously, you don't have to be doing anything as drastic, but there are many things that can trigger these spikes, which can be hormonal, a simple flitting emotion triggered by some external factor, white coat hypertension, it can be anything.

So in addition to keeping track of your figures, try and keep track of what you're DOING. Is something external the cause of these spikes? Whatever's happening, it might be wise to figure it out before consulting the doctor, who's only as helpful as your observations if nothing come up on the diagnosis or routine checkup.

Hope this helps, guys

Harry2 replied to marklowell's response:
Yes, this is an old thread, but just discovered it. I want to add my 2 cents in as well. As a person who has been "diagnosed" with high blood pressure most of my life. I have discovered that everybody's blood pressure is different and the conclusion I came to is that there really isn't high blood pressure. It's just that everyone has different blood pressure. You see that Doctors and other medical agencies are always changing what's normal and what's funny when you go to the doctor and ask what's normal blood pressure, they never answer your question and how do I know this? I haven't taken my meds in about 6 years and I feel fine. I figure if something bad was going to happen it would have happened already. I think it's just another money making scam. If you ask me.

billh99 replied to Harry2's response:
I haven't taken my meds in about 6 years and I feel fine.

Except in extreme cases high blood pressure does not work like that.

It is not like an infection where you will start having symptoms in a few days.

It is more like driving a car with girt in the oil. The engine will not fail right away, but over the bearings will wear and oil pressure will drop. And maybe engine need overhauling at 75,000 miles instead of 150,000.

High blood pressure causes the heart to work hard and can cause it become enlarged. That in turn can cause heart failure and other problems.

High blood pressure can stress the kidneys and cause impaired functioning.

High blood pressure stress the arteries allowing plaque to build and cause blockages. Also it can weaken the artery wall until it burst causing a stroke.

harryss replied to billh99's response:
@BillH99 this is Harry2 had to sign in again under different name because they would accept my original log in. Anyway, I forgot to mention with and without my blood pressure meds my blood pressure is the same around 150/95. One thing I noticed is that when your heart rate is low your blood pressure is high and when your heart rate is high your blood pressure is low. My heart rate is usually 50 to 60 beats per minute and no matter if I take my meds or not my pressure is usually in the 150/90 range. My wife's heart rate is usually in the 80 to 90 beats per minute range and her pressure is usually 111/60, in that neighborhood.

But needless to say no matter if I take my meds or not my pressure is the same. Which got me thinking. blood pressure is relative. I'm going on 6 years without meds and no "issues" so far and I don't anticipate any issues. I know of all the reports and what doctors say. But who can believe them anymore? Now, they say that your blood pressure should be lower than 120/80 but don't give you a number, all in cahoots with insurance companies, so they don't lose any money or drop you if you are at risk according to them. Everywhere you turn someone is trying to scam you or give you so many hoops to jump through that you find it's not worth it.

Maybe I'm one of those "extreme cases" you mentioned. But I was "diagnosed" with high blood pressure in my teens and I only took meds intermittenly I only started taking them regular starting in 1999 until 2008. Then stopped, I didn't see the point because my pressure was always the same onor off the meds.

harryss replied to harryss's response:
Oh yeah I forgot to mention. When my pressure is so-called "normal" I feel very dizzy and get a whopping headache! Like I said when my pressure is around 150/95 I'm fine.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center