Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

when does one seek emergency medical attention for blood pressure reading 162/115
An_192035 posted:
hi, im wondering when does one seek medical attention for blood pressure reading 162/115.. along with this is headache and feeling kind of woozy as in lightheaded. on metaprolol tartrate 100mg twice daily and lisinopril 20/12.5..

TNogram responded:
I'm no Doctor but in my opinion, immediately. That kind of reading along with the headache and being light headed could be the onset of a stroke. Go find out but have someone drive you. Don't drive yourself.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_47052,

I think that it would be wise to consult your doctor if this reading continues. Here is a link to a WebMD overview on high blood pressure that will help explain when your blood pressure is critical for immediate professional attention.

UNDERSTANDING HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE - THE BASICS
http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/understanding-high-blood-pressure-basics

According to the WebMD article, "People with blood pressure readings of 200/120 or higher need treatment immediately. People with diabetes are treated if their blood pressure rises above 130/80, since they already have a high risk of heart disease."

I hope that this information helps you and that your readings are lowered now! Best of luck and always call your physician if you have any doubts. :)
Best Wishes! Amelia

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center