Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

1st halucinations in 84 yr old female
radorno posted:
Our grandmother was in the hospital for a week for her bp spikes. She was home for 5 hrs and started having halucinations. she has never had this issues before and the dr at the er said she was 'confused' after being in hospital. If that were the case she would be fine after she figured out she was at home. She believes that 100 men are in the house to hurt her along with a myriad of animals. She had a CT scan that showed nothing. What would cause this?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi radorno,

I have read that strokes do not always appear on CT scans. Did her doctor mention anything about a possible stroke? I look forward to hearing back and hope that things are getting better for your grandmother and the rest of your family! :)
Best Wishes! Amelia

radorno replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
they are addiment that she did not have a stroke that was my first thought she has heart problems, diabetes, and high blood pressure i still say she had a tia or at least a temporary blockage one doc said if i had all the ideas i was welcome to do her job

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to radorno's response:
Radorno,

I am so sorry for that comment made by the doctor. Ugh. You are just trying your best to help your grandmother and find a reason for her recent symptoms. ((((hugs))))) to you!

I wish that you could speak with different doctor or nurse in regards to these concerns. You and your grandmother are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that things start looking up for your family soon!
Best Wishes! Amelia

kbarr52 responded:
This also happened to my mom, age 81.....'oh, she must have dimentia'......no, it was from the medication they put her on.
You give a small woman that never took an aspirin in her life and now you give her the strong hospital meds,,,,she was halucinating. It took months for her to get back to normal.
Sorry this happened to your grandmother. My mom was fine until the drugs were administered.

radorno replied to kbarr52's response:
Thanks to you all for your imput and support. Grandma doing ok now but docs are saying because she wont do what she is supposed to her health is failing. She can be quite stubborn.

I'm glad that she seems to be doing better! Best of luck trying to get her to listen to her doctor! She sounds like my grandmother. :)
Best Wishes! Amelia

radorno replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
UPDATE--- We found out what caused the halucinations... Ambien... Had the same issue with my son too. Cant believe it is still on the market. Thanks for all your support happy new year..

Happy New Year to you and your family! Soooooo glad that you all were able to pinpoint the cause for this concern. :-D

Enjoy 2011 with your family and (((((hugs)))))) for looking out for everyone!
Best Wishes! Amelia

kbarr52 replied to radorno's response:
I am so glad you got the answer you were looking for.
Again, meds can be an issue with the ederly.
So glad you found this out. Happy New Year and happy health.

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center