my high blood pressure story
casey92648 posted:
have had high blood pressure for several years now i take my normal metapropol 50 mg in the morning blood pressure usuall runs anywhere from highs of 130's to the 160's the bottom number high 80's to 105 throught out the today was my last pill so about 5 pm not feeling to well because i suffer from anxiety also i went to get my prescription filled they said i had two more days before i could get it refilled while their i check my blood pressure it was 189/110 the highest it has ever been so i went to my urgent care doctor but they were closed i wanted to get a new presciption so i went to the emergecy room their the measure at one point was 172/110 then the last reading was 177/83 doctor gave me a presciption for a couple of days until i could see my own doctor by the way while i was their i took my last anxiety pill after the first reading just weird seeing the second number of 110 dropping all the way to 83 on the first number going up to 177 i quess i should do more research because would like to now what the second number really means if anybody has any answeres please leave some feedback thankyou

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Casey,

Below, I have linked a WebMD article that explains the systolic and diastolic blood pressure numbers for you. I hope that you start feeling better and less stressed for your health and happiness. Please keep us posted on how you are doing! Take Care!

WebMD Hypertension: Know Your Numbers:
http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/diastolic-and-systolic-blood-pressure-know-your-numbers
Best Wishes! Amelia

casey92648 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
thankyou for replying back will read article just chankge my diet on two high blood pressure pills just woke up my blood pressure reading was 150/84 last night it got into the 160's was not feeling good at all i know it is my axiety which i have no control over i take medication for but just seems to wear of to soon will try to get in more exercise will see my doctor in two weeks will keep you updated

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to casey92648's response:
Good luck Casey! I hope that your medication and healthy lifestyle changes help soon. Please do keep us posted
Best Wishes! Amelia

jaybeta responded:
I have the same problem with my BP going sky high during times where I experience anxiety so your not alone. Antianxiety meds help to bring down my BP, but it still remains high at times. Do you have facebook I'd like to add you to my list, just type in jason.betancourt@yahoo.com , and i should pop out. Oh and the bottom number is when your heart is not contracted, in otherwords during rest between pumps.

greeniz75 responded:
I just found out that I had very high BP in June--I went to the doctor after experiencing what I now know were severe anxiety attacks and then an episode of chest pain and feeling like my heart was pounding. My BP was 166/105 when they measured it at the office--they asked me if I ran in, since my bp has never been high before. I laid down for 10 minutes and it was still the same. I explained why I was there....they did the appropriate work up to see if I had a physical reason for the bp numbers and nothing was found. I started 12.5 mg of Paxil and the metoprolol, later on adding hctz. I feel much better, but the timing of the drugs has been what worked for me...I was told to take the metoprolol at bedtime, the other two drugs in the morning. This works most of the time...a few times I have some "break-through" anxiety..then I try to do deep breathing and other exercises to calm myself....

kjme11374 responded:
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/blood-pressure.htm

This is the best chart I've found to show the diff bp ranges.
I also keep an excel spreadsheet and record my bp up to 3 times a day.

I'm on losartan potassium and metoprolol. I see that someone said they were told to take metoprolol at night. I'm just curious as to why (I'm on 50mg).

kiransrivastava responded:
Dear Casey,You are with high blood pressure, the drug you are taking is Metaprolol, which ie a Beta Blocker ,i.e. it blocks or reduce the impact of Beta receptors in the heart, which functions to regulate and control the contraction and dilatation of your heart, as a result your pulse rate goes down and your heart gets rest,thereby reducing the blood pressure also. For your kind of patient I think 50 mg is a heigher dose,Thre are veriety of antihypertensive drugs now availabe at choice, This your doctor can select the best suited for you.Your body gets adjusted to Beta blockers and after a period of time you do not get the desired result as you had been getting earlier. Therefore my advice is ,you to consult a good docter and gat the real effective medices for you to manage your HighBP. Take it seriously it is important for your life to have a right combination of drug to enjoy your life ,---Kiran

chris59ma responded:
I have only this morning seen your post in relation to your blood pressure, which prompted me to sign up on Web MD. I had an experience yesterday at a routine Nephrology Outpatient appointment. I do have a history of anxiety and depression but yesterday I wasn't nervous or anxious about the appointment as I had no need to be.

However I had had a really bad night pain wise with my Fibromyalgia and when I got up in the morning I wasn't feeling that good atall. I initially put it down to the lack of sleep combined with the pain I was in until my blood pressure was taken prior to the appointment...well I was so shocked to see my BP was 189/110 especially when it is normally within the region of 130 - 140 / 60 - 80. The Nurse then took it again after my appointment and it had gone up to 194/129. Naturally I was beginning to get worried as to what had caused such a dramatic rise in BP so the nurse suggested I pop down a bit later in the day (I work in the same hospital) and she would take my BP. I did this around 3pm ...it had gone down but was still high at 170/99. I have a BP monitor at home (my GP likes me to monitor my BP about once a week) and I took my BP when I got in from work around 6pm and it had then gone down to 147/82.

This morning at 7am it was 147/80 and although I was in some pain last night it was nowhere near as bad as the previous night.