Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

High Blood Pressure & Cholesterol
An_192069 posted:
My husband has been diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I really want to change the things he eat and how I cook. Can anyone provide me with examples of foods he should eat? This is all new to me and I don't know what kinds of food to buy. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

darkntall responded:
Ive been able to convince my PCP to take me off my BP meds after I started taking COQ10, cinnamon, and some grape seed extracts supplements from swansonsvitmins and recording my BP measurements with and without the meds. She seen that I was getting the same measurements without the meds while only taking those supplements as I was getting with the meds only and decided not to write me another px for benicar. So thank God for that!

juliebig replied to darkntall's response:
That is excellent what dosage amount do you take of each, my blood pressure was higher when I was on the meds so I am expeirmenting on natural things and exercise it averages 140/70

darkntall replied to juliebig's response:
I take 800 mg of cinnamon, 200 mg of COQ10, and 100 mg of grape seed extract everyday plus exercising and watch what I eat.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

It is important to live on a heart healthy diet in order to lower your blood pressure. This means less total fat, sodium, sweets and red meat. Read WebMD Heart-Healthy Diet and Exercise to give you more ideas on what will help you both to fight hypertension.

Have a Happy, Healthy New Year! :-D
Best Wishes! Amelia

3debbie responded:
to avoid all the salt we use MRS DASH at the table. They have so many different blends that both my husband and I have our favorites.

Joymanuel responded:
I was diagnosed wit hbp last July n put under meds for 2 months. During meds., my bp was btw 160/100 and 130/70. I observed low salt, fat and worries and now it is at an average of 100/70 without meds. I thank God for that. I think thinking about hbp is worse that hbp itself. It almost killed me.

cherylaclark responded:
The type of food is not the only thing inportant. You need to be able to cook without oils or greases. This can only be done if you have premium cookware. We sell Nutra Magic. Stainless steel no water cooking system that keeps all the nutrition in the foods while cooking on low heat an energy saver. You can respond by email to me and I can send a brochure with prices to you. You can learn to cook fried chicken using no oil or grease...southern fried with only 50 calories a thigh.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 17 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center