1ST 185/87
2ND 175/90
DO I NEED TO DO ANYHTING OR SEE MY GP ?

BillH99 responded:
Yes, that is very high.

That would be 2nd stage hypertension.

You need to see your doctor.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I agree with Bill - please see your doctor ASAP.

Then follow your doctors recommendations. Click here for the WebMD High Blood Pressure Guide for lots of information about treatment:

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/blood-pressure-causes

Haylen

CHAZZA1981 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
seen nurse at gps surgery yesterday (saturday) who took my bp again cause it was 175/70 on wednesday this time it was 179/94 she made me appt with gp to discuss medication as she aggreed that it is hypertension
thank you for replying

kjme11374 replied to CHAZZA1981's response:
(I am not a doctor or medical person and I dont play one on TV - this is just from my personal experience)

Definitely see Dr. immediately. Your top #, according to the chart I have (and I've seen variables) is moderate Stage 2 between 161-180 - I dont know the technical term for higher top #.

For the second #, my chart shows 66-85 as normal, 86-90 as high normal, and 91-100 as mild stage 1.

I could understand SPIKES. I myself had a spike a couple of weeks ago and my BP and heart rate went to 151/107 with HR of 160. But when my HR went down to 93, my bp went up further to 163/122 and 30 min later it was completely normal. My cardiologist has no explanation. My nuclear stress test was normal, and I take BP meds.

What I suggest you do (besides seeing Dr.) is keep a spreadsheet and record your BP/HR on a daily basis. and when you go to the dr, take the info with you. Also have a "notes" column and indicate anything "unusual".

No one likes to take meds...but in this case meds are wonderful. There are also a lot of dietary things you can do in combo with meds. Here's a link to info from Mayo Clinic. one of the biggest things is reduce/cut out all salt...and you have to be careful with processed/pre-packaged foods which contain a lot of salt. Cutting out caffeine is a big help (That one is hard for me):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00027

And the SIZE of the BP cuff can make a difference in getting an accurate reading: The inflatable part of the blood pressure cuff should cover about 80 percent of the circumference of your upper arm. The cuff should cover two-thirds of the distance from your elbow to your shoulder.