Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

BLOOD PRESSURE NORMAL OR HIGH
CHAZZA1981 posted:
I AM 29 HAVE BEEN HAVING DIZZY SPELLS
CHECKED BLOOD PRESSURE
1ST 185/87
2ND 175/90
DO I NEED TO DO ANYHTING OR SEE MY GP ?

BillH99 responded:
Yes, that is very high.

That would be 2nd stage hypertension.

You need to see your doctor.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I agree with Bill - please see your doctor ASAP.

Then follow your doctors recommendations. Click here for the WebMD High Blood Pressure Guide for lots of information about treatment:

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/blood-pressure-causes

Haylen

CHAZZA1981 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
seen nurse at gps surgery yesterday (saturday) who took my bp again cause it was 175/70 on wednesday this time it was 179/94 she made me appt with gp to discuss medication as she aggreed that it is hypertension
thank you for replying

kjme11374 replied to CHAZZA1981's response:
(I am not a doctor or medical person and I dont play one on TV - this is just from my personal experience)

Definitely see Dr. immediately. Your top #, according to the chart I have (and I've seen variables) is moderate Stage 2 between 161-180 - I dont know the technical term for higher top #.

For the second #, my chart shows 66-85 as normal, 86-90 as high normal, and 91-100 as mild stage 1.

I could understand SPIKES. I myself had a spike a couple of weeks ago and my BP and heart rate went to 151/107 with HR of 160. But when my HR went down to 93, my bp went up further to 163/122 and 30 min later it was completely normal. My cardiologist has no explanation. My nuclear stress test was normal, and I take BP meds.

What I suggest you do (besides seeing Dr.) is keep a spreadsheet and record your BP/HR on a daily basis. and when you go to the dr, take the info with you. Also have a "notes" column and indicate anything "unusual".

No one likes to take meds...but in this case meds are wonderful. There are also a lot of dietary things you can do in combo with meds. Here's a link to info from Mayo Clinic. one of the biggest things is reduce/cut out all salt...and you have to be careful with processed/pre-packaged foods which contain a lot of salt. Cutting out caffeine is a big help (That one is hard for me):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00027

And the SIZE of the BP cuff can make a difference in getting an accurate reading: The inflatable part of the blood pressure cuff should cover about 80 percent of the circumference of your upper arm. The cuff should cover two-thirds of the distance from your elbow to your shoulder.

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center