Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

How does high blood pressure affect weight?
Miasofi posted:
I turn 30 in a couple of months. I have experienced a 20lbs weight gain, which coincided oddly enough with my marriage about 6 years ago. I am in the military and I consider myself fairly athletic and active, however, I have not been able to loose this weight. The army says for my age (29) and height (5' 10"), I should be no more than 185lbs.

My question/concern is around the same time the weight gain occurred I started to have slightly high to high blood pressure. I have managed to maintain my blood pressure without medication to basically the borderline. Is there a direct correlation between high blood pressure and weight gain?

I have also had a drastic decline in my run times. I find it very difficult to run for any significant length of time. Most of my weight gain is noticeably concentrated in my legs.

My diet isn't the greatest, but I have taken an active role in lessening my salt intake and limiting myself to lean meats and high proteins.

I recently lost about 5lbs, but if I don't constantly workout to the extent of everyday then I gain those lbs right back so fast.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

BillH99 responded:
Is there a direct correlation between high blood pressure and weight gain?

Yes. While there is a large amount of individual variation studies have shown that, on the average, for every 2 lbs of weight loss the BP is reduced by 1.

The basic way to loose weight is to limit portion size and eliminate "empty calories".

Empty calories are added sugars that are in many drinks, cold cereals, and deserts. Also refined flour. And alcohol.

And while you want to limit saturated fats you want a total of 20-35% of fats with most of them being "good fats" such as in nuts, olive oils, and avocados.

But you need to be careful with the nuts. Too easy to east too much.

And what seems to be more important than sodium is the potassium/sodium ration.

And fresh, or frozen, veggies and fruits have lots of potassium and little sodium. And they have lots of other good "stuff" and relatively low calories.

BillH99 responded:
PS

I can't pin all of this on lifestyle changes as I also had a bypass.

But after losing about 25-30 lbs and increasing exercise I have gone from 40 mg lisinipril and 12.5 HCTZ to only 10 mg of lisinipril. And if my BP keeps dropping I might be reducing the lisinipril even more.

It went from 160/90 top 110/60

Miasofi responded:
I guess I should be a bit more clear in my question. Does having high blood pressure increase the difficulty level of losing weight? And if so, why? Or asked a different way, Can a recent jump in blood pressure be caused/partially caused by a gain in weight and if so, how? Thank you.

BillH99 replied to Miasofi's response:
Does having high blood pressure increase the difficulty level of losing weight?

I have not seen anything that says or implies that having high BP makes it harder to loose weight.

But losing weight is enough of a challenge by itself.

Can a recent jump in blood pressure be caused/partially caused by a gain in weight and if so, how?

There have been a number of studies showing that excess weight does raise BP.

But I don't know of the mechanism or how quickly the increased weight causes increased BP.

My pure guess is that it just that there is more mass that the blood has to be pumped through means more force needed (BP) to push the blood through. Also fat might push one the arteries and constrict them.

In either case, if there are any truths to my speculation, then the changes in BP would be very soon after changes in weight. (Probably more accurately changes in fat and not lean weight).

Godfrey1939 replied to Miasofi's response:
HI,
I'm not a medical professional - but I started having the same problem around your age. Have you been checked for insulin resistance? When I follow an insulin resistance diet, my bp and weight both drop. Also, I feel tons better... Just a suggestion.

Travelingyogini responded:
Hi,
I have recently experienced high BP, although I guess I've had it my whole life and didn't realize it.i was taking dandelion root and hawthorn berry to control my BP. After my recent knee operation and a wt. gain of 20 lbs, my BP went up 20 pts. I am on BP meds now, but as the wt goes down, so does my BP. So, Have a complete blood profile done of hormones, thyroid, etc. Then, check out the hidden salt intake. If you're cosuming fast food (even a little), the sodium is off the charts. Try yoga. It works on the internal organs as well as the muscles. I have been an athlete my whole life and have had to stay at it, or I gain weight real fast. You may be the same. Fluctuations in BP is very serious, so good luck...

Miasofi replied to Travelingyogini's response:
Thanks, never have been patient enough for Yoga, but as you mentioned I hear good things about Yoga. I may have to give it a try.

Yeah, I do not eat fast food unless it's a subway type deal, but my diet (especially salt intake) is my killer. Why does everything without salt have to taste horrible.

Anyways thanks for the advice.

sand442 replied to Miasofi's response:
While Subway is great for reduced fat and calorie meals, it actually still very high in sodium. Some single 6 inch sandwiches have 1,800 mg of sodium. Most deli meats contain very high amounts of sodium as their preservative. The company has announced they are trying to lower their sodium content, but most sandwiches will still be just naturally high in sodium. I'm not preaching, but it's something I very much so learned on this BP journey.

Helpful Tips

garlic oil
I've started taking 2 "garlic oil perles" along with my regular meds (metoperol, lisinopril. nefedipine) and my pressure has dropped 25 ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center