Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

HP meds
Ambob posted:
Recently, my doc has told me to take adalat and co-enalapril at the same time. i am borderline hypertensive but my doc is concerned because of my family history. I am on low doses of each. I note that the joints in my ankles have become inflamed/swollen, sometimes making it difficult to walk (hard when exercise is to help lower BP). Is there a link between these medications and joint swelling?

BillH99 responded:
Adalat is a calcium channel blocker.

Co-enalapril is not available in the US. I think that is the same as Vaseretic, a combination of HCTZ (diuretic) and enalapril (an ACE Inhibitor).

I am surprised that you are on 3 different BP meds for borderline hypertension. What is you BP running.

Ankle swelling is listed as one of the common side effects of Adalat.

http://www.rxlist.com/adalat-drug.htm

But if it is side effect or not anything like this that is giving you problems should be seen by the doctor.

kjme11374 responded:
I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR MEDICAL PERSON. I HAVE NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE OF THESE MEDS.
-------------------------

adalat (generic is Nifedipine )

Avoid taking Nifedipine with grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice and grapefruit-containing foods may increase the effects of Nifedipine. If the blood pressure drops too low while taking this medicine, you may become dizzy or feel faint; do not stand or sit up too quickly. Contact your prescriber if you have dizziness which does not go away while taking this medicine.

If you notice new or increased swelling of your legs or ankles, tell your health care provider.
----------
This may or may not mean its a reaction with med. You should always check with doctor.

And you should ALWAYS get your Rx's filled at the same Pharmacy. Better chance of finding out possible drug interactions.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ambob!

I also urge you to contact your doctor with specific questions about possible side effects.

Additionally, you might want to bookmark this link:

Drugs & Medications A - Z

Here you can look up information and read reviews and experiences from others who have taken a particular drug or medication.

Please check back in and let us know how you are doing! Your information might help others who come here with similar symptoms.

Yours in health,

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center