Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

recently diagnosed
ccookie816 posted:
I am 70 yr old female who has NEVER had high bloodpressure...Suddenly I have readings of 175/94 to 156/86.

I am at loss to find information on diet that does not include an attempt to sell me something

where do you go for real information?

any info would be greatly appreciated

thanks

BillH99 responded:
The bases of diet for high BP is reduced sodium (salt) And eat foods with potassium and magnesium.

Some people are very sensitive to sodium, but not all.

In addition heart healthy will include those and help control plaque in the arteries which can be a part of high BP.

Basically

Limit processed and packaged foods.

Limit saturated fats, but you still need 25-35% of calories from fats. But concentrate on good fats - olive oil, fatty fish, avocados, nuts, etc

Eat lots of fruit and veggies.

And limit carbohydrates. Specially refined ones. Sugar in all forms (and lots of packaged foods are loaded) and refined white floor products.

The DASH diet and Mediterranean diet are both good.

If you use the WebMD search box at the top of the page will give you more info.

Also Health A-Z button at the very top and select Hypertension.

If you are even slightly overweight losing weight really helps with high BP.

And exercise.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi ccookie816,

As Bill pointed out, WebMD has many resources and lots of information. Click the link below:

Hypertention & High Blood Pressure Health Center

And I'm not trying to sell you anything!

Please keep coming back and asking questions and getting feedback - Haylen

kjme11374 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I am on BP med and it is under control, however, I recently had a stressful period (just moved after 46 years), and my BP was uncontrollable (for me) and went as high as 168/XX. Strangely, the second # and my heart rate was more or less ok. Went to urgent care, they doubled one of my meds....and discovered it was due to ONE stressful situation which, after it passed, my BP was normal.

However, reading information is no substitute for seeing a doctor. I would make appt asap with doctor. But BillH99's comments are excellent. I would do well to follow those!!!!

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center