Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Newly diagnosed
bscholz9206 posted:
I went to visit my OBGYN last week and she told me my blood pressure was very high (170/120) and I should see my family doctor and get it checked out.So I go Wednesday to talk to her.I have taken my BP since and it has dropped considerably.When I checked it yesterday it was down to 134/94.I have been under alot of stress this year,what with my Dad passing and my Mom having a heart attack,so when I go to talk to her she will probably just put me on some BP medicines.

BillH99 responded:
Not necessarily.

A lot goes into this, such as your age, activity level, weight, and any other health issues.

Then you have white coat hypertension. With some people they get tense in the doctors office and the reading is always high. But tested outside the office it is lower.

134/94 is per-hypertensive, and should be followed, but by itself it is not always treated. But the other reading is concerning.

Talk to her about what lifestyle changes that you can go to help control your BP. Basically weight control, stress control, good diet, and exercise.

If you need to lose weight, weight lose can make a big difference.

As can exercise.

Some people are more reactive to stress and anxiety.

There are a number of ways to help control stress. These include meditation, breathing exercises, and guided imeragy.

Again exercise is also good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10446755

bscholz9206 replied to BillH99's response:
She did not give me any BP meds but she did suggest that I go off my BC pills as they may be a small factor to my BP.

I joined Curves in January 2011 and have since lost 18 lbs. and 22 inches around my waist.

BillH99 replied to bscholz9206's response:
I joined Curves in January 2011 and have since lost 18 lbs. and 22 inches around my waist.

Good for you. Keep of the good work.

See I told you that not all doctors will automatically put you on meds.

But unfortunately too many do, without looking at the big picture.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to bscholz9206's response:
Congrats on the weight loss bscholz! But more importantly for taking the steps to have a healthy, active life. My condolences to you on the loss of your father and I hope your mother is on the road to recovery.

Please check back in and let us know how you are progressing.

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Blood pressure
I would like to know what couph medicine I can take with out my blood pressure going up. My dr gave me a inhaler, but sometimes it's not ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center