Skip to content

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Diagnosed 5 days ago :(
mardibess posted:
I had excellent Blood Pressure 1 month ago! I am a 53 year old female, overweight, borderline cholesterol and pre-diabetes(under control). I take my blood pressure a couple of times a month. Usually 117/79 or so with a pulse in the 70's. I randomly took my blood pressure on 11/22/11 and it was 155/105. I panicked and called my doctor. I went in for a BP check and it ws 141/96. My gosh. What happened. I have had a lot of stress in my life with problems with my aging parents and haven't exercised much in the last 6 months besides yoga. I am so scared! I went to the doctor the following day and was placed on BP med Lisonopril 20mg a day. My blood pressure is spiking all over the place. Had a high of 180/106 a couple of days ago. I am getting a racing heartbeat and what feels like palpitations at times. I think it's because I am so scared and the anxiety and stress of all this is causing the pressure to remain high. I haven't seen a difference in my BP since being on the meds, but it's only been 5 days. I have been walking 2 miles everyday and have radically changed my diet. I have lost 4 pounds in 5 days. I am calling the doctor again on Monday. I am trying to calm down, but then I start thinking about why this happened and my heart starts racing and the BP goes up drastically again. I am only getting a BP read in the mornings now because when I do it constantly throughout the day the increase in pressure just causes me to panic more. Shouldn't this medication be working by now? Any advice or help would be much appreciated, believe me! I have read through almost all the postings and they have been a big help. I fell like I am having a heart attack sometimes by chest pounds so much. Lasts about 10 minutes, then is gone. Has happened maybe 3 times in 5 days. Please share similar stories with me. Thank you so much

billh99 responded:
It is hard to say. Anxiety can cause all of those symptoms. Both the pounding/racing heart beat and the high BP.

In general monitoring your BP at home is a good thing. But as you realize, in your case, it is causing your more anxiety. I suggest that you don't take your BP again until the morning of your next appointment.

And in the meantime while walking work on your deep breathing. Or concentrate on things like how many different trees or birds that you see. Or look at the patterns in the sidewalk. All of those things like help break the anxiety cycle.

but then I start thinking about why this happened and my heart starts racing and the BP goes up drastically again.

You need to work at breaking the cycle. Anytime that you feel it starting do some thing to distract your mind. Start doing yoga or go through the multiplication tables.

Now these symptoms can be caused by other things. So do call the doctor Monday.

Shouldn't this medication be working by now?

It takes about 2-3 weeks for it to reach max effect.

And from my experience it takes a couple of weeks before you start seeing a reduction in BP from exercise or weight lose.

kjme11374 replied to billh99's response:
I've been on BP med for a couple of years and I STILL had an incident (due to stress) where for a couple of days my bp went to about 160-165/100 - fluctuating crazily. Went to urgent care and they double my bp med but once the stressful situation passed bp almost normal now.

First, DO NOT CHANGE MED DOSAGE WITHOUT PERMISSION OF DOCTOR. YOu have to get the stress under control though. It may be difficult but you really dont have any choice. DIET (and possibly cholesterol-lowering med) will get the cholesterol under control. I went from 227 to 185 to 172. (the trick will be to come OFF the RX and maintain my cholesterol).

BTW, if you develop a cough, it may well be from the Lisinopril. it is a well-known side effect. I had to get my Rx changed. Seems that, at least for me, all Bp meds cause some degree of dry cough.

As always, your doctor is your best source for medical information. Never go strictly by what people report here. Most of us are relating our personal experiences. Also your pharmacist is a good source for information relating to your meds.

mardibess replied to kjme11374's response:
Thank you for your helpful comments. I am actually taking 10mg of Lisonopril. My blood pressure this morning was 133/93. Better. I am going to the doctor today to get rechecked and discuss my anxiety, etc. I am looking forward to the day when this is all just a bad memory! Thanks again. I will post again after the doctors appt. By the way, I didn't take my BP last night. I just relaxed and kept my mind on other things. Felt better. Don't know if the blood pressure was lower, but I at least felt better.

tbfoster replied to mardibess's response:
I got compulsive and started taking my BP ten times a day. Worrying about it caused stress that made it jump. I'm a lot better off taking my meds as prescribed, and limiting to taking in once or twice a day. If once, then I do it mid afternoon. BP is usually high for everyone in the morning.

It took some talking but finally my doctor prescribed an anti-anxiety med. Apparently she was worried I'd get dependent on it. Although I take (as needed) a very low dose just having it if I need it reduced my anxiety. She prescribed a low dose which should last me three months. At four months plus...I still had a lot left.

There is a big gray area between being concerned about your health, and being obsessed and anxious. Controlling high BP is a lifelong commitment so give the meds some time to work.

I was having a hard time keeping mine below 120/xx (bottom number is seldom high) and decided that at my age (66) that I did not want to be over-medicated to achieve that goal, that 140/xx was going to be good enough. Oddly enough, when I stopped worrying about making that 120 goal, I did.

All drugs have effects, some intended, and some 'side' effects. There are side effects I'm willing to live with, and those I'm not. I have a 35% chance of dying of heart disease or stroke, and a 65% chance of dying of anything else including cancer...but I have a 100% chance of dying.
So I focus on living.

mardibess replied to tbfoster's response:
You are so right. I think my elevated numbers had a lot to do with anxiety. I started exercising right away and started losing weight. Almost 3 weeks in to this diagnoses I have lost 13 pounds and my blood pressure is averaging about 142/90 something. It's still higher than it should be. I go back to the doctor in a month to re-evaluate my meds. I take 20mg Lisonpril a day with no side effects. I exercise every day of the week. 4 days of this at the gym. The other times long 2 miles walks or Yoga once a week. I'm doing all I can to fight this disease and get it as close to normal as possible. I'm not stressing about it anymore. I take Blood Pressure lowering supplements too. I started a new one called Levodyn. I don't know if it works yet. I have read mixed reviews. We shall see. My pressure has dropped significantly from the beginning, especially the top number. The lower number has dropped approximately 10 points. Not bad in 3 weeks time. I appreciate everyones comments. I have read a lot of information which has helped me understand what hypertension is all about. I knew nothing at the beginning which added to my anxiety. I will keep posting as things change. thanks again.

mardibess replied to mardibess's response:
So it is now April Let's see whats new. I am on 40mg or Lisinopril now and 25 mgs. of diuretic. My BP seems to go down nicely for about a month and then starts to get higher again. This morning my first check was 136/92. After waiting a few minutes and doing my breathing it was down to 118/83. I have a lost a total of 23 pounds so far. Still exercising and still watching what I eat. Yesterday morning my BP was 152/103. So there seems to be a big variance at times. I was semi stressing about things yesterday when i took it. This morning the sun is shining and I am very calm. So breathing, staying relaxed, calm and stress free makes a big difference in the BP. I go back to the doctor in a month to re-evaluate the medicines effectiveness. She may just change it, as it seems pretty high at times, but who knows. She also has indicated she wants me to continue to exercise and lose weight. I hope everyone is doing well. I will be in touch.

billh99 replied to mardibess's response:
Sounds like you are doing fairly well.
In addition to the deep breathing and yoga there are other relaxation exercises that you might want to try.

One place to look is book The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson.

Also the general recommendation is that you take at least one of your BP meds at night.

But if you are using a combo pill with the diuretic in with the lisinopril you don't want to take that at night.

Any diuretic at night will keep you up going to the bathroom.

mardibess replied to billh99's response:
thanks for the info Bill. I will check it out. I take the diuretic in the morning and the lisinopril at night. No problems with up all night, or at least any more than usual. I have always liked drinking water and drink a lot during the day. I need to lose more weight. I have been overweight all my life. I have about 30 pounds to go before I hit my ideal weight. Not too bad. Hopefullly that will bring the pressure down too. Stress is the big factor with me having aging parents who arent in the best of health. I'm doing all I can and will be patient with the rest. Thats all you can do. Thanks again Bill.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center