Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pressures not falling in the less than 120/80 range? See our High Blood Pressure Health Center for information about symptoms and treatment.

To learn more about how lifestyle changes can help manage and prevent symptoms:

Exercise and High Blood Pressure
Healthy Diet - Salt Shockers and Dash Diet

Diagnosed last week
Robert0917 posted:
I'm 53 and I was put on Lisinopril last week, so I took my 4th or 5th pill last night. My pressure when taken has been consistently 108/70 for years and years. The Doc. checked it on both arms and got 145/80-something and 160/90-something, don't remember the exact numbers.

I had surgery last February and there were no issues, I think it was about 120/80. I though it could have been a little elevated due to the "white coat" thing but still at those numbers it wasn't much of an issue.

I'm 5'8" and about 155 lbs, work out almost every night on a spin bike, along with a video of a spin class so I'm not just sitting and pedaling. Some nights I'm not as motivated and the workout is not as intense but I shoot for every night so if I miss a night it's no big deal.

So getting back to being on this drug. I read somewhere on this board yesterday about Bonito Peptide Complex and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it.

One of the last things I want is to be on blood pressure meds and would like to get off of it asap. I'm going to run it by the Doc. of course but I was hoping the drug and supplement could be taken together and then reduce and hopefully remove the drug. Maybe I'm grasping at straws but this is freaking me out. When I had my consult for the hernia surgery, the Doc looked at the questionnaire I filled out and he said to me you didn't fill out the previous surgery section, I said because I haven't had any. He said so you are as healthy as a horse...until now! Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts
Signed
Phreaking out in Philadelphia

billh99 responded:
I'm going to run it by the Doc. of course but I was hoping the drug and supplement could be taken together and then reduce and hopefully remove the drug.

What you want to do is to replace one DRUG that has been tested with many trails with another DRUG that has no large monitored trials and made with uncontrolled ingredients.

I really don't know about the supplement and in googling I did not find much other than ads for the products.

I did find that it is an ACE inhibitor which is the same action, but apparently by a different path, as lisinipril.

I am not trying to say that the product is no good. I really don't know. Just that there is no magic in supplements or herbal drugs. Some can have very serious side effects. Some are effective and other are not.

Some doctors are more willing than others to work with you on using the alternate treatments.

As to your high BP a couple of comments.

Your weight and activity level is good. But research as show that some resistance exercises also helps lower BP.

Now all people are not that sensitive to sodium, but some are. So try to limit foods with lost of salt. Typically that includes many restaurant and canned foods.

And make sure that you have a diet high in potassium. The potassium/sodium ratio seems to have more effect than sodium by itself.

The other thing is apparently this was one office visit. The "official" requirement to diagnose hypertension is measurements at two different times.

And the British are going to a system of ambulatory BP monitor that you wear for 24 hours to get a true feel for your BP. Because "white coat" hypertension (high only in the doctors office) or temporary stress at the time.

Also repetitive reading on home machine (after get it checked by the doctor) also give a better ideal of your true BP, than the occasional check in the office.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws but this is freaking me out. When I had my consult for the hernia surgery, the Doc looked at the questionnaire I filled out and he said to me you didn't fill out the previous surgery section, I said because I haven't had any.

That is not that unusual. I did not have an operation until I had bypass surgery at 66 for blockages. And I suspect that was caused or aggravated by high blood pressure and stress.

PS you can't phreak out over a little high BP at 53. You have too many things to phreak out over the next few years <G>.

In the 2 years after 66 I have had shoulder surgery, hernia, prostate and nasal surgery.

And, in warmer weather I do 80-100 miles a week on my bike.

utalice replied to billh99's response:
Actually, BillH99, Bonito Peptides are not a drug, they are building blocks for proteins. They are structures built by amino acids which bond and fold to produce a protein, which is natural.

Robert, there have been 3 clinical human studies performed.

Clinical Studies
Three human clinical trials have been reported using bonito
peptides in subjects with borderline or mild HTN, and have
shown significant decreases in BP.

In the most recent study,
researchers used an optimized bonito peptide mixture of 1.5
grams daily.

The results of these case studies suggest that bonito peptides are approximately 64% effective in reducing BP in borderline and mildly hypertensive subjects. In these short - term clinical trials, no serious adverse effects were reported , suggesting that bonito peptides have an excellent safety profile. In an unpublished, pre-clinical pilot study, bonito peptides did not lower BPin subjects with BPalready in the normal range.

Furthermore, no rebound effect or abnormally high BP levels
were observed after supplement termination in short - term
trials with borderline and mildly hypertensive subjects.

More info here:
http://www.metadocs.com/pdf/case_studies/MET1219%20Bonito%20Peptides%20Case%20Reports.pdf

I, too, am on Lisinopril and also Coreg to lower my BP. I am going to try the Bonito Peptides myself to see how they work. I monitor my BP closely (several times a day) with one of the most accurate BP monitors (Microlife BP3MC1-PC). I want to get off of my BP meds completely, if I'm able to, since any foreign chemical going thru the liver is not healthy.
I was able to lose 90 pounds over the past year by cutting out almost all processed foods, which enabled me to cut my BP drugs to less than half of what they were originally.

If I can remember to come back here and let you know how the peptides have worked for me, I will. Good luck to you.

billh99 replied to utalice's response:
Actually, BillH99, Bonito Peptides are not a drug, they are building blocks for proteins. They are structures built by amino acids which bond and fold to produce a protein, which is natural

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drug

b : a substance used as a medication or in the preparation of medication c according to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (1) : a substance recognized in an official pharmacopoeia or formulary (2) : a substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease (3) : a substance other than food intended to affect the structure or function of the body (4) : a substance intended for use as a component of a medicine but not a device or a component, part, or accessory of a device

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug

A drug is a substance which may have medicinal , intoxicating , performance enhancing or other effects when taken or put into a human body or the body of another animal and is not considered a food or exclusively a food.
What is considered a drug rather than a food varies between cultures , and distinctions between drugs and foods and between kinds of drug are enshrined in laws which vary between jurisdictions and aim to restrict or prevent drug use. Even within a jurisdiction, however, the status of a substance may be uncertain or contested with respect to both whether it is a drug and how it should be classified if at all. There is no single, precise definition, as there are different meanings in drug control law , government regulations , medicine , and colloquial usage.[3>
In pharmacology , a drug is "a chemical substance used in the treatment, cure, prevention, or diagnosis of disease or used to otherwise enhance physical or mental well-being."[3

And ACE inhibitors also started as a peptide. I don't understand enough of the bio-chemistry to tell if it is still a peptide or only part of the molecule.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACE_inhibitor

You are taking the bonito to treat your hypertension. That makes it a drug.

http://www.metadocs.com/pdf/case_studies/MET1219%20Bonito%20Peptides%20Case%20Reports.pdf

Case Studies Conducted at the FMRC The information provided in each of these case studies describes the results of one patient under the care of a licensed healthcare practitioner and may not be a typical response. The case studies were conducted at the Functional Medicine Research Center (FMRC), the clinical research arm of Metagenics, Inc. Robert Lerman, MD, is the Medical Director of the FMRC. Financial support was provided by Metagenics, Inc.

So this report was prepared by the company that make supplements.

And 3 case studies does not make a clinical trial.

First it take a much larger number of people and some give active drug and others given a placebo with neither the person or the doctor knowing which is which. And no other changes are made in their treatment.

In the 3 cases they all had some other supplement/herbs stopped and others started at the same time as the peptides. No way of telling what caused what.

And for side effects it is not unusual for people taking the placebo, for example, might have a 3% of a certain side effect and the active 4%. That is why you can get any ideas from just 3 persons.

I want to get off of my BP meds completely, if I'm able to, since any foreign chemical going thru the liver is not healthy.
I was able to lose 90 pounds over the past year by cutting out almost all processed foods,

Unless the peptides in this pill are in the same relationship to other peptides in original fish, along with the other minerals, vitamins, etc - then it is a processed food and the resultant chemicals are foreign to the body.

All I am saying that there is no magically difference between something like a lisinopril and bonito petides except that the former have been extensively tested and followed for both advantages and side effects.

See my separate post about flax seed for a proper study.

Helpful Tips

Don't be afraid...you're not alone
For all who stumble upon this thread, I can feel the pain of trying to quit (and yes, quitting smoking will probably solve all the problems ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center