Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need good probiotic suggestion
trinity_lei posted:
Hi all,
I am recently diagnosed with IBS and scheduled for a colonoscopy in a week to make sure there is nothing else going on with my colon. I have had chronic diarrhea for over a month and when all tests came back negative, I had a CT scan which showed thickening of my colon. I don't know if I'm jumping the gun in wanting to get started on probiotics before the colonoscopy but have been told they may also help with my chronic yeast infections also (usually get a yeast infection every other month and take diflucan which I am tired of having to do). I need food suggestions also as I am feeling very limited on what I can and can't eat. Seems like I have one good day and the next is not so great. After my stay in the ER when the CT was done, they put me on Cipro and Flagyl for 10 days which seemed to control the diarrhea after about 5 days of being on it. Now my stools just seem to be loose. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have never experienced anything like this and have lost 7 pounds as a result of the diarrhea and need to get my body regulated again. Thanks for your thoughts!

barbarafromtucson responded:
Hi trinity_lei,

Start keeping a journal. Write down everything you eat, when you eat, what time the 'results' emerge, and how the results emerge. I'd also notate the 'moods' that you're in throughout the day.

Over time, you'll see a pattern and can determine what foods are problems and such. IBS can be irritated by emotions--such as anger, depression, stress, worry, etc....so you can also see if there's any correlation to that.

For me, dairy and fried foods are a problem for me and that seems pretty common. But I know some people who have no problem with dairy...or they're ok with cheese, but not milk. Everyone handles food differently--this is why you should journal to see what bothers you.

Good luck to you!!!

--Barbara

calgal37 responded:
Probiotics are never a bad idea. There are a number of good brands on the market, but you may want to consider trying Culturelle since you were on the antibiotics. Others that people have tried and liked are FloraQ, and PB8 (which I personally like).

The thickening of the colon needs to be checked out thoroughly. Make sure they do a number of biopsies. There are a number of different conditions that can't be seen on the surface and the only way to figure out what they are is via biopsy.

trinity_lei replied to barbarafromtucson's response:
Thank you so much Barbara. I really appreciate your response. I have just started a food dairy and plan on continuing to hopefully rule out certain foods. Dairy by itself seems to cause me some trouble, so I'm trying to only have dairy paired with a complete meal. Thanks again!!!!!

etown57 responded:
I have Crohn's and took Digestive Advantage IBS for several years. Felt it helped put me in remission.

MagPrincess replied to etown57's response:
http://www.feelunique.com/p/Udos-Choice-Super-8-Probiotics-30-Vegecaps

This is the one that i have found the most sucess with.

crossover responded:
I would recommend probiotics right away. I would hold off on surgery. Then i would start eating foods in there proper mixture. That is to say do not eat proteins and starches together. That will create all the problems you have and many more and by adding all those medications you are adding to your problem. You can eat all the vegetable's you want with starches or proteins but never eat starches with proteins. I had diareah for about two months and frequent urinary tract infections as well as some prostate issues. The first day that i changed my diet the bloated feeling and the diarreha went away. And many people have also got releif from chronic yeast infections and many other digestive related issues. Please feel free to contact me for specific probiotic info. I have a really good one and they are hard to find. you can contact me at formyhealth@yourstarnet.net

crossover responded:
http://www.greattastenopain.com/cmdt.asp?id=1205558

Check this web site. It was very helpful to me.

curt

cane1 replied to etown57's response:
Dear etown57,
hi there
I have seen the advertisement on Digesttive Advantage and after hearing your comments on it, I think that I will try it. I have been taken Align but really didn't see a change.
thank you and have a blessed day
cane1

cp55tx replied to cane1's response:
Yes, my doctor told me to take Align, and for a while I thought it was helping. But not sure that it continued. I have started again to give it another chance to work.
I have tried several. I think we just really want it all to stop. When it still flares up, we stop taking it.

cane1 replied to cp55tx's response:
Dear cp55tx, hi there
Yes, all of us with IBS or IBD would like very much to wake up one day and it all will be gone for good. I had given Align a chance for many months and it seened to work in the begining but now I don't see to working, so I am going to try another called Digestive Advantage in hoping that may help and the good thing about is that they say it's cheaper than Align. There has to be something out there that works 100%.
cane1

cp55tx replied to cane1's response:
Interesting! I bought the Digestive Advantage 2 days ago, and I decided to double up since the directions say "sensitve systems may need to take 2 per day." It was 10 dollars at CVS. Worth a try, right?

cane1 replied to cp55tx's response:
Dear cp55tx, hi there
I am happy to hear that you are willing to try Digestive Advantage, I hope that it works for you? Please let me know how it works for you.
God Bless and have a great day
cane1

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had a "sensitive stomach", but once my daughter was born five years ago, I started having diarrhea. It gradually became 7 days...More

Helpful Tips

25 year ild new to ibs
There us a ibs newsletter at www.help@helpforibs.com . Heather who run the web site has some very good idea's. I was not getting any ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.