Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Loss of appetite
Missylulu1976 posted:
Hello, I've been recently diagnosed with IBS even though I have been suffering from it for quite some time now. I have had so many incidents with eating the wrong foods that food has now become the enemy and when my IBS has flared up I have to force myself to eat and then when I do, I feel like crap almost completely following, with headache, stomach ache, gas,and some weakness. What are somethings that I could possibly eat that wont make me sick and that I can eat when I am having a flare up, please help me. I have noticed that I have started to lose weight and while that is a welcomed thing, I dont want to lose too much weight.

sheba_q responded:
Have you had any testing done before being diagnosed with IBS?

I'd suggest you start a food dairy. Write down everything you eat/drink - even a piece of gum or a vitamin should be written down. Also write down any symptoms and when they happen, as well as how you feel overall. Over time you'll be able to pinpoint trigger foods that way.

A lot of IBS people have found this site useful (you don't have to buy any of the products): http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/

Missylulu1976 replied to sheba_q's response:
yes Sheba I had a complete blood count, and an ultrasound of my pelvis. Everything came back normal.

sheba_q replied to Missylulu1976's response:
That's almost no testing. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion - before the doctor can say you have it you should have had so much testing done that you hope you don't have to ever walk into a lab again. Then if nothing is found they can say IBS.

At the very least you should get far more blood testing done, urine and stool testing, and an upper and lower scope. When the regulars come back (is everyone on summer vacation?) I'm sure we can brainstorm and come up with a list of specific tests for you to request.

With headaches, gas and weakness I'd guess you have a food intolerance mixed in there somewhere. The food diary should help narrow that down (and is easier than trying an exclusion diet). The two most common food intolerances are dairy and gluten. Gluten issues are also frequently missed in testing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had IBS symptoms for several years. I've tried numerous medications and have not had any relief. My last medication was Librax, but it stop...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.