Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
IBS and Anexity?
ItsGettingOld posted:
I've been dealing with this for a long time. Once been diagnoised with diverticulitis but other docs said no. Its interferring with doing things I really want to do. When I know theres not a bathroom close I put my self in a panic mode. I've had to many accidents and afraid of going places. Just don't know what to do or where to start to get this under control.

bartmelly responded:
anxiety increases due to remembering past experiences reminding us what bad things happened. I carry extra clothing, I take medication to help hold food in that can ease the anxiety. Work with a holistic nutritionist that can help you assess what foods to avoid, and what supplements you can take to help you control your situation. It has helped me. Also look into a psychotherapist that can do ESM (Emotional Self-Management Therapy) to help control the anxiety through acupressure you can do for yourself. Not only do I have IBS, diverticulitis, and am a recovering colon cancer patient, but before I became disabled I worked as a holistic psychotherapist working with clients who have these issues.

MagPrincess replied to bartmelly's response:
Once it starts interfereing in your life with these things it is time to get very aggressive and find out what is wrong.

You need to start by having a food journal and getting an appt to see a GI doctor.

A food journal should list the date the time you ate and what symptoms occurred and what time they occurred. typically the GI doctor is going to need at least three weeks worth of journalling to get a good grasp of what is going on.

Also simple blood tests should be done to start with to rule out Celieac disease and metabolic syndromes.

Good luck and let us know what they say.

bartmelly replied to MagPrincess's response:
remember a food reaction can happen up to 72 hours after you eat something and often it is the combination of what you eat not just one item.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had stomach and digestive issues since I was young, but the last 5 years or so, it has gotten so much worse (I am now 49). In these last few ye...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.