Skip to content
Worried about my Mother
Jayne4694 posted:
My mother is 73 years old. She fought lung cancer 2 years ago by having her left lung removed.

My mother suffers from IBS. She has been for about 40 years. The Dr.'s tell her there is nothing more they can do for her. She is on the strongest medication and has to take other things. Several times she has had bowel obstruction.

Now she is having these attacks about 2-3 times a week. It really wipes her out. She suffers such severe pain. I don't know how much more she can take of this. She eats very little because she is afraid of having an IBS attack. She wears size 6 pants. She has these issues so often that she is getting to a point of not even telling me and just living through it. I live about 40 minutes away from her and would go to her if she needed me.

She's 73 how much more can she take of this pain. I wish there was a solution to this disease. Some day I'm going to go down there and she is going to be dead.

Worried
Jayne

LilMissMerrySunshine responded:
Has she seen a GI doctor? If so, what tests have they done? Please see the tips section & glance over our article, "Especially for the Newbies". That way you can give us the information we need to help you.

Jayne4694 replied to LilMissMerrySunshine's response:
My mother is 73. She battled lung cancer 2 years ago and had to have her left lung removed. She has been dealing with this for 40 years. She has seen everybody possible. There is nothing more that anybody can do. At 73 and having severe stomach pain for 2 days straight it really wears her out. It doesn't help that her intestines are all twisted. I just wonder when is she going to give up, stop taking her meds and just wait to die.

LilMissMerrySunshine replied to Jayne4694's response:
So she has had colonoscopies and endoscopies, CT scans, been given anti-spasmodics, had her feces tested for parasitic infections, bacterial infections, etc? She has seen a GI doctor who specializes in elderly care? Has she seen multiple GI doctors to get another opinion?

DIYSTER replied to Jayne4694's response:
What about a blood test for Celiac? I had many of those symptoms for years and finally I asked to be tested for Celiac Disease - easy, just a blood test. Bingo! That's what it was. It also is very likely to have caused my RA and all the secondary problems that come with it.

I also take Activia which helps a lot and now that I'm eliminating gluten, I'm beginning to see an improvement in the level of bloating and flatulence. It takes several weeks for your intestines to begin to heal so just be aware of that as well.

Jayne4694 replied to LilMissMerrySunshine's response:
Every 3 months on all of the above.

Jayne4694 replied to DIYSTER's response:
So your telling me it takes more than 40 years to heal.

You people don't understand, she has had every test under the sun.

I guess this isn't the site to be on.

sheba_q replied to Jayne4694's response:
We're just asking for specific information on exactly what type of doctors she's seen, what tests she's had done and what medications she's tried. We can't really help much without that information.

LilMissMerrySunshine replied to Jayne4694's response:
Wow, I realize you are upset about your mom, but I don't think anyone here has ever become angry with us for trying to help. Most of the time, people who come here have been "diagnosed" with IBS, and they do not know or realize the doctors have just handed them that diagnosis without doing testing. You would be amazed.

Most of us here have fought the battle for years and years, so we do understand quite a bit. Some of us have found diagnoses that explain the "ibs", that have nothing to do with the GI diagnosis except symptoms. For example, after years of dealing with GI problems, I have Addison's disease, which is endocrine. Once treatment was started, the majority of my GI symptoms went away.

I'm terribly sorry if our attempts to help you were not up to your standards. We are in the business of helping people, not reading minds.

I wish you and your mother the best. I truly hope she finds some relief. And I hope you find someone who can help you in the manner in which you prefer to be helped.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! Well i'm a mother of 1 (hopefully to 2 soon) to a wonderful beautiful daughter, i'm married to a wonderful husband, and I am pentecosta...More

Helpful Tips

ibs- charcoal
have been diagnosed with ibs, it seems to effect me in the mornings everyday,with diarrhea. in the mornings i get up, have to go, then 5 ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.