Skip to content
undiagnosed IBS
pompey60 posted:
I started with chronic diarrohea when I was 21 and pregnant,I was given Iron pills and told it would probably make me constipated,it didnt and gave me chronic diarrohea which I have had ever since...I am now 50..everything upsets me and the diarrohea is relentless.I was given a colonoscopy 4 yrs ago and the result was ; unspecific irritation of the small intestine and some haemmorrohoids were removed along with polyps that were benign.I wa told I neede another 4 yrs later as my mother died for coclon cancer,however due to the recession I have no insurance and cannot get one.My chronic diarrohea continues and I have tried everything and everthing...everything upsets me evena drink of water or a stick of gum and it is getting worse...how long can this continue before someone can give me some relief.....

barbarafromtucson responded:
Hi,

No one here will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis.

You might want to get a journal--write down everything--what you eat, time you eat, and then the timing and consistancy of the "results". Also notate any moods that you're in.

Over time, you might see a 'pattern' and can eliminate the worst 'offenders'.

I do not know if colon cancer causes diarrhea, but if that runs in your family, you'll need to do what you need to do to be tested for it.

A lot of us have had to go to multiple doctors to get an accurate diagnosis.

Without having medical insurance--that makes it hard. You may want to contact a local church or other non-profit organization that might be able to help you with finding help with medical procedures.

Have you tried "Align" or other probiotics?

You're not going to get any better without more medical exams/tests/etc. But I would start with the Align and journaling to see if you can find any patterns/relief. It will be at least a couple weeks before you see any results from Align (or whatever probiotic you try).

Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Carrie. I've had IBS for over 10 years, I also have Endometriosis and was diagnosed with it almost 3 years ago. Trying to manage th...More

Helpful Tips

ibs- charcoal
have been diagnosed with ibs, it seems to effect me in the mornings everyday,with diarrhea. in the mornings i get up, have to go, then 5 ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.