Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
IBS
jujulang posted:
Hi All,
I haven't posted in a long time, but I'm ready to pull my hair out. I am having issues digesting every single meal now and I for the life of me can't figure things out. I get very gassy, and then fidgety like I'm anxious as heck and then the sweats and lightheadedness comes on. If I pass gas or have a bm, I feel better after awhile. I keep thinking it's anxiety so I take a pill and I know it's not that. It's a definite correlation between these symptoms and digestion. I just don't know what to do.
Does anyone have any ideas? Im about ready to stop eating period.

sheba_q responded:
Could you post a reminder of what all you've got going on? I looked back and read about your sluggish digestion and gallbladder, but I seem to vaguely rem there was more going on before that.

jujulang replied to sheba_q's response:
Hi Sheba,
I have not been diagnosed with anything other than the gastroeparesis and malfunctioning gallbladder. I had hemmorhoid surgery due to the constipation, had a hyserectomy in 2006, ovaries are still in, viral ear infecton in 2005 that caused debilitating vertigo for almost a year.
The only thing they can tell me is it's IBS-predominantly constipation due to the motility I presume. I had a severe vitamin D deficiency which has since been corrected but all other tests and bloodwork come back normal.
I had my thyroid tested, normal, no vitamin or mineral deficiency noted. I have learned through trial and error to eat smaller meals more frequently to digest better, but I don't understand the issues I'm having now. I had been having them once in a while but they are more frequent now.

sheba_q replied to jujulang's response:
I've been pondering this for the last day. Part of me wonders if this is just the new normal for you. Your slow motility causes food to sit there longer than "normal" so your bacteria feast on it and you get gas. Then you get anxious waiting for things to move out of your digestive tract.

Have you gone really really low fat. You know about it for the gallbladder but it also takes longer to digest, which doesn't help you either.

Oh course gas also makes me wonder food intolerance, and you've read enough of Trudy and CalGal's comments about gluten intolerance by now to know that food issues don't just cause digestion problems. The anxiety type symptoms could come from that. I'm guessing it's not gluten based on your normal test results (no vitamin or mineral deficiency noted) but it could be something else that's in the early stages.

I'm not sure if the Vit D deficiency ties in or not. Low Vit D is pretty common, but severe...

I do know that dairy is an intolerance and i had been screwing up last week. I am back on track so we'll see what happens next. I'm going to see an endocrinologist next week and I'll see what she wants to do for testing.
I am between a rock and a hard place with needing the fiber for the constipation and it not helping me with the slow motility.
I know that I am tired of being told to live with this. Take a good probiotic and fiber supplement.
What kind of blood work should I ask for from the endocrine dr?

sheba_q replied to jujulang's response:
What testing to get done is more of a CalGal question (Yoo hoo! Where are you?). I did a bit of looking around and your anxiety symptoms could be tied in with the adrenal gland. Other than asking about that all I can think of is to take copies of the tests you've had done and write out what you're going through.

What type of fibre are you taking? There are two types and maybe one works better than the other. I know that question comes up for IBS regularly.
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp

I know the rock and a hard place feeling only too well. No matter what you do you're damned, and you're not allowed to complain about it. *rolls eyes*

sheba_q responded:
Are you still around? What a lovely update it was that caused all the messages on here to go to an error 404 page if you clicked on any of them. I kept trying, hoping it wasn't going to take forever to fix (which of course it did).

What did the endocrinologist say?

Hi Sheba,
Don't like this new format! Yikes.
The endo said nothing. She is going to order a blood test for the adrenal gland to make sure there are no tumors, but other than that she thinks that my pcp has done a good job with all my testing. So, back to trial and error.
I am seriously considering talking to the Gastro about removing the gallbladder. Although there is a chance that it might not help, there is also the chance that it might.

unsinkable777 replied to jujulang's response:
I couldn't take regular fiber (like Metamucil), but I take a "soluble fibre" that I order for the www.helpforibs.com site, and it's great!!! Try it.

unsinkable777 responded:
If you have been diagnosed with IBS and follow the diet, but still have all this trouble, I think you might want your doc to scope you for Celiac disease. I have both, and have to avoid all forms of gluten, as well as following the IBS diet.
all the best!!

Sloss11 replied to unsinkable777's response:
Ugh - I think your anxiety is directly related to not knowing how to make yourself feel better and you are doing so much to try to figure it out. I use to be exactly like you - I would do 3-5 day juice fasts thinking if I didn't eat i would be ok. After the end of those days i would have a solid BM. It's like everything would just sit in my intestines forever. I had cramping so horrible i thought I might give birth. I would bloat and be so gassy all the time that I would actually unbutton my pants at work! There was a year where i thought i might be pregnant - i would be dizzy and lighted and nauseous. After i'm pretty sure all the tests under the sun (blood, colonoscopy, endoscopy, swallowing the camera pill, etc) with all results normal i was ok to concede that it was IBS but i refused to take a pill thats side affects looked too similar to the disease itself.

After some research I discovered apple cider vinegar. For over a year i have been taking 1 to 3 tsps a day before meals in about 8 oz of water and have FABULOUS BMs regularily. I have a feeling only this group can understand that fabulous might even be an understatement in some siutations for something so many people take for granted. I also don't cramp and don't have to worry about avoiding gassy foods. About two months ago I also stopped taking a fiber supplement and i'm feeling energetic and excited again!

This might not be your answer like it has been mine, but give it a week to try. Apple cider vinegar is easy to get and it's very inexpensive too. I hope you can enjoy the holiday season this year!!!

Tryingtofixme replied to Sloss11's response:
This is great news for you with the Apple Cider Vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar is a treatment for candida which may be what the orig poster is experiencing.

I strongly recommend googling for candida to see if it matches symptoms.

Apple Cider Vinegar never hurt anyone as far as I know so I dont think thats a bad suggestion but I am no expert.

Google candida.

jujulang replied to Tryingtofixme's response:
I have been thinking about Candida for awhile now and I'm sure that could have something to do with it.
Pretty much I have come to accept the fact that my plumbing is older and isn't what it used to be. It is what it is and I've been out of my mind trying to find some solution.
I think I will give the apple cider vinegar a shot also.
I am taking a probiotic and as long as I remember to take it, it seems to help somewhat.
Many thanks to you all for your help. You guys are awesome!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had tummy issues and they I remember growing up watching my mother suffer through tummy and bathroom issues. Then my daughter started sh...More

Helpful Tips

Especially for the Newbies!
Welcome to our board! We usually end up telling everyone this, so I thought it would be nice to put it in a "tip", so it would help you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.