Skip to content
Can emotional triggers be as strong as food triggers?
An_191938 posted:
I am trying so very very hard to follow a careful IBS diet, but I've had 3 attacks in just ONE week! I know that I am worrying about my marriage, and haven't said anything to my husband yet. Does anyone out there think THAT could be the reason for so many attacks???
I just got married in March, and he is already very different than the man I fell in love with. Please help???

sheba_q responded:
Emotional triggers can cause problems in people who don't have digestive problems - so yes they can cause huge problems for people who do.

An_191939 responded:
In my personal experience, the answer is yes. When I get stressed (a certain kind that hits me pretty deep), I start having tummy problems and diarrhea.

There is a strong gut / saratonin connection which is related to anxiety. Google it and I am sure someone smarter than me can tell you all about it. Hopefully someone on here will respond as well but don't wait for that.

Also, I have candida which is a yeast overgrowth (Im a dude) and that has led me to experience anxiety, panic, etc... during low stress periods but is MUCH worse when I am stressed.

There is 100% a connection. I recommend you continue to hit the google, search high and low for your symptoms, and you will find a treatment path for you.

Good luck. Do you need us to come whip your husband into shape? Let us know and I'm sure you will get some voluteers.

An_191940 replied to An_191939's response:
There have been research studies conducted at various medical centers since 1984 showing the efficacy of clinical hypnotherapy for IBS. Many individuals have found that this treatment option is helpful when all else has failed- after various diets, Rx, supplements, etc. this has been proven to be the method that works the most often for most people. But the protocol needs to be gut-directed or gut-specific and it can be used with other treatments if needed. It breaks the brain-gut component of IBS.

You can search medical centers to determine if this treatment is available. There is also a recorded protocol that has been very helpful to sufferers called the ibs audio program and has been discussed on self-help IBS support groups for over 10 years that may prove helpful to you. This program also includes info that explains the IBS condition to family members and others which takes a huge burden of constant explanation which adds to the stressors that are a part of the IBS brain-gut connection. It would be helpful for your husband to listen to something like this because it would show that it isn't "just" you - many people have IBS. In fact, it is estimated that one in 5 have IBS - even as many as 50 million in the US have some form of IBS.

There is hope, dont give up and research your options.

joanlfry responded:
Take it from an old lady, who was diagnosed with IBS years ago, YES, stress is the number one culprit, as far as I'm concerned. The Gastroenterolgist who diagnosed me told me that most women are under stress, whether they realize it or not. He prescribed a dose of Citrucel every morning, (which I take in tablet form before breakfast), and before every meal I take a prescription drug, Donnatol. Ever since I started on this regimen, I have been free of problems and I eat EVERYTHING! Once in a great while, if I'm under stress, like trying to get ready for a Christmas party a few days ago, I had a flare up. Then I go on a Gatorade and soda cracker diet for a day and that takes care of it. I truly hope this helps you, and by all means, talk to your husband about your concerns. Communication is the most important factor in marriage,and I was happily married for fifty years. I still miss my husband terribly, who died in 1996 , but my six children help fill that void.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I haven't exactly been the healthiest person. As soon as i was born-ear infections, that reoccured until I got tubes in my ears around age 1 or so...More

Helpful Tips

Especially for the Newbies!
Welcome to our board! We usually end up telling everyone this, so I thought it would be nice to put it in a "tip", so it would help you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.