Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dangers of taking expired Amitiza?
100indecisions posted:
Yes, I know, once medication is past its expiration date it should be discarded because it could be ineffective or even dangerous. That's the thing, though--because that's always the answer, I haven't been able to find out whether Amitiza really does (or can) become ineffective or dangerous after a certain amount of time, and from what I've read about medication expiration dates in general, it sounds like many are still good well after their shelf date while many others just lose effectiveness rather than actually becoming dangerous. Because...if expired Amitiza just doesn't do anything for me, I won't have lost anything, but I'm uneasy about trying it since I don't know.

I've been on Amitiza (24 mcg twice daily) for several years, see, and because my insurance changed recently, it's become my most expensive prescription--about $120 or more for a month's supply. I've started taking it only once a day to make it last longer, actually. A few days ago I discovered an old bottle of Amitiza from a three-month prescription--there's probably about a month's worth of pills in there (judging by the dates, I probably took only what I needed when I spent a semester abroad and left the rest behind, which is how I apparently forgot about it). This particular prescription was filled in July 2008, and while I don't see an actual expiration date for these particular pills, the prescription in question says "may refill two times by July 2009". So it's been a while, in other words. The pills are, as far as I can tell, identical to the newer ones in color, smell, general appearance, texture, etc.

tl;dr - Just how bad of an idea would it be to try some 2.5-year-old Amitiza?

memeresboy responded:
I also have an OLD (2 years) prescription....is it OK to use it??

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey, My name is Amber, I'm 20 years old and currently undergoing testing to try to get properly diagnosed. I became sick when I was about 12, I lo...More

Helpful Tips

Squatting really help!!!
the medical community knows changing the angle of your colon = better bowel movements. i have recently tried a squatty potty and it has ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.