Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
just diagnosed
An_191956 posted:
I was just diagnosed today with IBS and was told that my diet had a major role in helping me feel better so I would need to make changes. Well, I google IBS diet and one site will tell me to stay away from certain foods and then another site says its okay to eat them. For example, green veggies, cereal, and fiber. I don't know where to go to get the most reliable information. I just know I want to feel normal again. I thought getting the diagnosis was the hard part, but its just beginning. Can anyone help me?

susiemargaret responded:
hello, A103 --

i have recently been diagnosed with IBS too and am running into the same problems as you are. one thing i have read in various forms is eat fiber, don't eat fiber, don't eat too much fiber, don't eat too little fiber, etc. my sister (my medical researcher) and my gastroenterologist's nurse practitioner refined that for me a little; both said to eat soluble fiber. this helped a lot.

if you google -- ("soluble fiber" IBS) -- you will get many websites that talk about soluble fiber. even some of the commercial ones have forums like this one, plus general advice and lists of foods that don't necessarily depend on buying their products.

i hope you can get some guidance from other readers here. so far my experiments have resulted only in the knowledge that most of the time (but not always) i can eat noodles without any distressing digestive surprises. every other single thing that i've tried so far has turned out not to be such a great idea after all. i love noodles, thank goodness, but i'm not sure i can live on them for the rest of my life.

i quit drinking caffeine, which helped somewhat, but i'm not really sure how much so far. i also tried putting a heating pad on my stomach, but that turned out to be a really bad idea!

-- susie margaret

sheba_q responded:
Try this: http://exchanges.webmd.com/ibs-support-group/resource/index

susiemargaret replied to sheba_q's response:
hello , S --

thanks for these resources!

-- susie margaret

Spotlight: Member Stories

Started being Lactose Intolerant at age 17. Become diagnosed with IBS at age 24.

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.