Skip to content
Should I be worried?
sadglastoaster posted:
My dad has been diagnosed with IBS, and has lost ALOT of weight after changing his diet and considering we live on a farm it helped a lot in his weight loss. Not to say he was fat to begin with, cause he wasn't. But anyways. I'm nervous because the doctors said that if he hadn't came for the visit and had waited for another year, I can't remember what they're called X/ but they're in your colon, and he said that they'd have turned to cancer! He was lucky because his mom my nanny died when I was 11 with colon cancer, and her mother died when she was 12 with colon cancer. He got lucky, but he's always had diareah and what not. I'm only 19, and I'm all ready like almost everyday of the week finding myself in the bathroom having the SAME stomach problems! I know my diets not the best, but I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to end up like my family history and have colon cancer or anything!

sheba_q responded:
It sounds like your dad had a polyp. Sometimes they're cancerous and other times they're not.

Go to the doctor with a printout of what you've written here and insist on see a GI (gastroenterologist) doctor. Something is going on, and the longer you put off dealing with it, the harder it's going to be to get it under control. Plus you have a family history of colon cancer, which is all the more reason to see a GI and get tested.

I'd also suggest keeping a food diary. Write down *everything* (food, drink, supplements, etc) you consume, along with any symptoms you have throughout the day. It's much better to write everything down as it happens so you have a record, instead of trying to remember it.

Take that into the doctor too. When you have a write up like that they tend to take things more seriously.

sadglastoaster replied to sheba_q's response:
thanks!
That's the word. I feel dumb now cause I was trying to remember the word polyp and couldn't. lol.
I hate going to the doctors. lol.
But this really helps, because i think that is a big part is the certain foods/junk foods I eat.

sheba_q replied to sadglastoaster's response:
You can know you have to do something and that it's important and all that stuff - it doesn't mean you have to like it. Start writing out the food diary, print out what you wrote on here and get a referral to GI. With your family history this is something that you don't want to put off.

I'm sure we've all had that moment where we totally can't remember the word we're looking for. It happens to me far more often than I'd like to admit...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been sick since the Spring of 2003, which was my senior year of High School. I have had over 10 doctors and more than 5 diagnoses.. for years t...More

Helpful Tips

25 year ild new to ibs
There us a ibs newsletter at www.help@helpforibs.com . Heather who run the web site has some very good idea's. I was not getting any ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.