Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
IBS-C, no gallbladder---problems flaring up
ohana37 posted:
Haven't been on boards since format changed. Been dealing with IBS-C for years--along with delayed gastric emptying, achalasia-swallowing problems, acid reflux-you name it...and had gallbladder removed several years ago. For a couple of years it helped with the constipation---now back to where I was before. I watch my diet, try to get as much fiber as I can from foods--Activia(don't think it does much) avoid high fat foods but usually resort to Milk of Magnesia at least twice a week. I've also noticed now that when I'm very constipated ---it doesn't take much----I start throwing up at night--usually after dinner. All I can blame it on is not having a gallbladder?? Stomach starts hurting badly few hours after dinner--pain is quite bad-then the vomiting starts--it's generally all bile--TMI I know! I eat the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch--just so I know my stomach will make it through the day.....I try and eat a well balanced dinner but that still doesn't always work. Is there anyone who experiences similar symptoms? My doctor says that "it's normal and can happen after GB removal." It doesn't happen all that often--but happened the other night and between the pain/vomiting---at my wits end. I try not to take the max dosage of Milk of Magnesia--took some last night and still waiting for it to work. I have tried Benefiber, Metamucil, Miralax--none of them worked. I only take it at night because it makes me sick---so chug it and go to sleep. Tried probiotics but no luck there either......any advice or suggestions..thanks--sorry for the rambling...

KCippy responded:
Ohana37-
I have suffered with IBS-C for 10 years. I have recently had a very bad stretch of it and had come to my wits end. I went back to the GI and PCP to get some direction.
The PCP sent me to have a Ultrasound on my gallbladder to see if that can be a cause of the pain I have been experiencing. The GI had me do a clean out of my system with Magnesium Citrate, OMG...nasty stuff and you are pretty much home bound for two days on that stuff. Once I completed that she started me on Lactulose. This stuff is horrible! It causes the worst bloating, rummbling, gurggeling, gas, but it didn't produce a bowel movement. I had been on a 12 day no go at this point. I am one of those people that fiber is my enemy. I have tried "everything" as I am sure you have as well.
The Ultrasound came back showing no issues but they wanted me to have a HIDA scan just in case. This came back showing I have a Low functioning gallbladder and I have a consultation with a surgeon on Monday.
My question to you is this. Did they ever feel that your IBS and Gallbladder issues were connected at all? You said that the IBS went away for a few years and has come back. I am nervous about the fact of having surgery but getting relieve from pain, neasea are welcome.
Any info on your surgical experience and how you felt after would be greatly appreciated.
~KCippy

ohana37 replied to KCippy's response:
KCippy--I can't say in my case that the gallbladder removal was connected--however, the IBS-C didn't help symptoms. It's been a few years--right after removal I had no constipation issues for a long time---thought I was "cured"....wrong! Last year or so all those C issues are coming back---it's back to the Milk of Magnesia...tried some probiotics and eat Activia nightly but doesn't do anything. I eat a lot of fiber and it just cements in my system.....but try to maintain a healthy diet so I keep eating fiber...Fiber One for breakfast with fruit--gives about half days supply of fiber.....Still have bad times when I get so "backed up"--pain gets bad---not as bad as gallbladder attacks I had for years and didn't know what they were.....even my surgeon said I wasn't the typical candidate 5'5 118lbs healthy eater...he couldn't believe it--that's why all my docs missed even checking my gallbladder. It took a very bad episode--my doc sent me for CT scan----saw all the gallstones and that was that! Everyone is different so I hope you get some relief....the surgery was well worth it. Few days after of pain til you heal but that didn't last long. They did mine with laproscope---3 tiny incisions--but they couldn't guarantee that way of removal until they get in there.......Oh yes, the lovely Mag Citrate--awful....I've had to resort to that in the past--I had to drink it and it still took forever to work--while I was waiting--worst cramps and discomfort.....Hope you do get some relief. Sorry to so long to reply--just got an email notice that I had a reply...good luck!

cpackwood05 replied to ohana37's response:
Hello~
I was reading your post regarding IBS. I have had this terrible "syndrome" and I say that word lightly because to be it's more like an illness for about 13 years now.
I have a hard time getting anything to flow very easily. I have tried all the laxatives only to be riddled with pain from gas and bloating.
I have been using the herbal tea Smooth Move for a couple years now. I have to say that I swear by it. They have the regular flavor which is hard to get down at first and now they have chocolate which isn't always easy either but with a little sugar and milk it's better.
I use it every other day and it creates no gas or bloating. The bowel movement is close to normal at least for me.
Maybe this tea could work for you?

Christine

An_191960 responded:
Some of what you describe sounds like me. I know how you feel! None of the over the counter medicines work for me either. I have been taking the prescribed drug Amitiza for about 6 months now and do feel somewhat better. I also eat a lot of the same foods, ones that I know I can tolerate, and on days that I work, I only eat dry cereal like Chex so that I know I can make it through the day without running to the bathroom, because for me, I'm either very constipated or have uncontrollable diarrhea. No throwing up thank goodness. I am not working this summer, so on my own initiative, I am going to try taking small doses of magnesium. It is supposed to help with stomach/intestinal absorption problems. While I am taking that, I am not going to take the Amitiza. So, that's my plan, but I don't want to give it to you as advice. I just can't see spending the rest of my life like this, and I've had every test imaginable. So maybe this will help. I hope you can find something for yourself also

ohana37 replied to cpackwood05's response:
Thanks for that info on the tea. I will try it..I have seen it but was afraid it would cause cramping and pain. I should be able to choke it down, I chug enough Milk of Magnesia. Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

ohana37 replied to An_191960's response:
I know what you mean about eating the same foods..my breakfast and lunch are the same everyday! I may try MagOx pills..a nurse told me she takes 2 a day and helps. Sounds better than getting backed up then chugging Milk of Magnesia and staying near bathroom all day, sometimes 2 days! Never tried Benefiber...might try that as well. Hate having to be dependent on things..so frustrating! Thanks again...I'll let you know any progress.

elynch2011 replied to An_191960's response:
What mg of Amitiza are you taking?

I was taking 16mg, wasn't working, and had a sever allergic reaction.

Do you have any answers at all? Any leads? Our problems are freakishly similar.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had stomach and digestive issues since I was young, but the last 5 years or so, it has gotten so much worse (I am now 49). In these last few ye...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.