Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Transition to Higher Fiber diet
Wizbangs posted:
Does anyone have some advice on the best way to transition to a high fiber diet? My previous diet amounted to about 10 gm/day. I know that for 2,000 calories it should go up to 25 gm/day. This week I started on the new diet (about 16-19/gm day) and I'm having severe digestive issues.

At first it was just bloating, cramping and frequent diahrrea (this has been going on akk week), but it has gotten to the point where I am going every hour and it is preventing me from doing anything else (work, appointments, etc.) because I always need to be 2 steps from the bathroom.

I read how you need to carefully transition into a high fiber diet, but how gradual should this transition be and how long should I wait to make steps to increase?

calgal37 responded:
For some, the transition has to be very slow. Not all GI tracts enjoy fiber, so try adding small amounts over a longer period than you originally planned. Also look at the type of fiber you're adding and the source. Some people do better on a high proportion of soluble fiber rather than insoluble fiber. So you may have to do a bit of experimentation.

An_191964 replied to calgal37's response:
I was told that fiber causes more bloating. I have been diagnosed with IBS with constipation. Who knows what to think. I will stay with my fiber. But yes add it slowly.

Bohemianmomma responded:
It could be the type of fiber you are eating. If you tend towards diarrhea you should be eating soluble fiber. If you tend towards constipation you should be eating insoluble fiber. I hope this helps.

Bohemianmomma replied to An_191964's response:
IBS-C people should be eating insoluble fiber, not soluble. See if this helps

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Carrie. I've had IBS for over 10 years, I also have Endometriosis and was diagnosed with it almost 3 years ago. Trying to manage th...More

Helpful Tips

Squatting really help!!!
the medical community knows changing the angle of your colon = better bowel movements. i have recently tried a squatty potty and it has ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.