Skip to content
trouble digesting grains
An_191965 posted:
I Have been having trouble digesting almost all grains for some time. Other foods seem to digest normally and I don't seem to have a problem with them. When I eat grains and peanuts, I seem to have a feeling of fullness almost immediately. My stomach swells fairly quickly and the contents don't seem to empty properly. It Is like I have a balloon blowing up in my stomach. It also seems to cause constipation. Any help is very much appreciated.

calgal37 responded:
If the problem seems to occur more frequently with wheat, rye, barley and possibly oats, you may want to consider some testing for food intolerance issues.

betterdigest responded:
I have been having a problem with this since my late 20's. I am now 44. Initially, when I began having a problem with grains, it was my stomach area on the left side that would swell almost immediately after consuming a grain product. It almost seems to be affecting other areas of my digestive tract as the years progressed. I didn't really know what was causing the swelling at first. I seem to burp (gross, I know) a lot more when I eat these foods.

My sister alerted me to the possibility of grains being the issue when she told me that flour was causing her stomach to swell.

Wheat bread seems to cause more of a reaction than white bread.
Wheat, rice, corn, oats, any grain seems to trigger it.

I'm wondering if all grains may have something that is common among them all?

I did try buckwheat. I read somewhere that it is not technically a grain but is in the rhubarb family. I don't believe I had the same "swelling" feeling in my stomach after eating it.

Plugging on, Plugging on, trying to find answers....
I

betterdigest replied to calgal37's response:
The problem seems to occur with almost every grain. Corn, wheat, oats, rice, etc. I even tried some brown rice flour. When I ate the brown rice flour, I started itching under my chin, on my throat area and coughing a funny little cough.

I assumed I was having food allergy symptoms.

I'm wondering if a food allergy could cause intestinal irritation and swelling?

What is a food intolerance?

skoflu replied to betterdigest's response:
Have you been checked for Celiac Disease?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had stomach and digestive issues since I was young, but the last 5 years or so, it has gotten so much worse (I am now 49). In these last few ye...More

Helpful Tips

ibs- charcoal
have been diagnosed with ibs, it seems to effect me in the mornings everyday,with diarrhea. in the mornings i get up, have to go, then 5 ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.