Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic Abdominal Pain
tatumroe posted:
My husband is 33 years old and has had chronic abdominal pain for almost a year. He has had a CT, EGD & colonoscopy. He has seen two gasto doctors and has tried to take both Miralax and Colace. He still has severe abdominal pain, trouble passing a bowel movement and his stomach is constantly making noises. Sometimes the pain gets to be so much it brings out his anxiety which then leads to a panic attack. Has anyone out there had similar stomach issues and was searching for an answer? We are in desperate need of one! Please post any information you may feel is helpful. Thank you.

calgal37 responded:
Have you considered food intolerance issues? Many bowel issues can be caused by intolerances to foods or food groups.

BBinCal responded:

I am a 61 yr old male that has had stomach/abdominal pain for years. Most recent flare up was last night. Up all night will terrible high intestinal or stomach pain like severe cramps.I have had lots of tests over the years. I have high acid (take acipex) ,acid reflux and Gerd.My flare ups come without warning and I either have extreme dhiarria or bad cramping and constipation. Sometimes my stomach also makes extreme noise and I can feel what seems like digestive matter racing thruogh my intestines. It is completely disabling for 24 to 48 hours. When it finally subsides my stomach is both sore to the touch andinternally sore like I have taken a beating to the stomach.
I feel your husbands pain, but I too don't have a clue as to stop it

DigestiveTroubles replied to BBinCal's response:
I am 33yr old female and kind of wandered on this site. Your entire paragraph describes what I go through perfectly. I have never encountered anyone with the exact symptoms that I have.. and also have been through many tests. I was hoping your paragraph would end with "the diagnosis" I search for.. however am glad I am not alone. Thank you for posting and wish you luck.

Tabletalker responded:
Sounds really uncomfortable. Sorry this has been a problem for so long now.

Couple of questions...Has the gastro doc investigated gall bladdar disease? Unless stones or "gravel" present when the testing is done, you may get a false negative test result.

What else is going on in your life now - and what was goinig on right before this became a problem for you? Often times I see clients who suffer extreme anxiety and even depression but their major symptom is gastro in nature - typically severe IBS and occassinally an undiagnosed gall bladdar problem.

Ask your doctor about a Levbid and Effexor medication combo. The Levbid addresses the pain, gas, and cramping, noisy stomach and sudden "dumping" of body waste while the Effexor address depression and anxiety. It appears from what you have stated that part of the problem may be depression and anxiety gone haywire. I am not a medical doctor, merely a counselor who has seen similar problems in hundreds of folks who were consequently helped with counseling and these two meds or similar meds.

Be well and good luck. Let me know if this is a help to you.

Tabletalker replied to BBinCal's response:
Could be undiagnosed gall bladdar and or pancreas problems. Sometimes the Gerd diagnosis distracts the docs from the gas, painful cramps and diarhea signs/ symptoms. Do you have good communication with your doctor?

BBinCal replied to Tabletalker's response:
Thanks for the reply Tabletalker. Yes I have had both gall bladder and stomcah emptying tests done and both were "normal". The frequency of my flare ups has lessened but I still cannot predict or relieve them whebn they hit.

BBinCal replied to DigestiveTroubles's response:
Well although I am sorry you suffer as well, and I don't have any answers it is somehow nice to have someone really understand the issue! good luck to you And if you happen to find THE answer please reply to me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed at 16 yrs old with a nervous stomache and spastic colon. I am now 73 and I still have constipation/diahrea every few weeks. I asume it...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.