Skip to content
IBS maybe?
An_191967 posted:
I am 23 years old and since i've turned 20 i've had problems going to the bathroom. I don't know if it is the food I eat, but I just can't go, sometimes even for weeks. I have seen the commercials for activia and colon heath pills. What works best? I've seen the doctor and he said to drink miralax everyday as needed. Thats expensive; is there anything else?

An_191968 responded:
I'm seeing a GI motility expert at a major university and she prescribed, yes you guessed it, Miralax (and no other GI meds) She added to that exercise, fiber, and lots of water. There is also biofeedback by a physical therapist. You need to see a gastrointerologist for a treatment plan, not just your family doctor.
PS Problem can be caused by meds, of course.

dudder2 replied to An_191968's response:
Hi
I have a 5 year old and he has been on miralax for 4 years there is no cure for this.He is also on miralax 2 times a day he also takes fiber gummies 3 a day.We had to change his diet to a high fiber diet.
It works best for him he has had no problems in the last 6 months.

stephiloula replied to dudder2's response:
My children were on Miralax for years after visits to the hospital and enemas and I started adding ground flax into their daily diet and it helped a little. However, I switched to milled flax which is powdery and we've been off the Miralax for months now! I give them a fruit shake for breakfast and add a tablespoon of the milled flax and it's been amazing. I'm so happy to have found a natural alternative!

skoflu responded:
If the Miralax works, use it. Whatever makes you feel better is worth it! For me, the activia, miralax and colon health pills did nothing. I've tried so many remedies and wish I could find something. Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had IBS symptoms for several years. I've tried numerous medications and have not had any relief. My last medication was Librax, but it stop...More

Helpful Tips

Especially for the Newbies!
Welcome to our board! We usually end up telling everyone this, so I thought it would be nice to put it in a "tip", so it would help you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 73 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.