Skip to content
C. Diff then GERD then appendectomy then......
BarnabeeBon posted:
Well I guess I have a lot to put down here. I was a 19 year old female and was working at a vet when I came down with a pretty serious C Diff infection. I was throwing up every five minutes and had blood coming out as diarrhea. They started treating me for C Diff but one of their Infectious Disease guys came in and said I didn't really have it so they stopped treatment. It appeared I was caught in the middle of an argument because two doctors thought I had it but one didn't. They were worried at first the I may have contracted it from working with dogs at the vet and they actually quarantined my work and they had to clean everything with bleach for a day. But when the infectious disease guy came in I guess he had authority over everyone else so they just kind of pushed me out to figure it out on my own.
Over the next year I was in and out of doctors getting treated for C Diff and every other bowel problem they could think of. They tried everything-even being on Flagyl and Vancomycin didn't help. I was having horrible abdominal pain, throwing up all the time and had constant diarrhea. I would get better for about a week and then everything would come rushing back.
I had a colonoscopy and an EGD, and they finally did a gastric emptying study on me. The results showed that normal food was taking 18 hours to empty from my stomach to my intestines, but they weren't sure that was quite right because that seemed extremely severe for someone with my age and no previous history of these kinds of problems. I actually became lactose intolerant for some reason, and they think it had to do with the C Diff infection but we never did find out.
I decided to lay off the doctors for a while, hoping things would get better. I changed some habits at home and the acid reflux wasn't much of a problem (I lifted my bed up on cinder blocks so it is tilted to help food digest) A few months after that decision I had to have an emergency appendectomy. Right afterwords I felt better but eventually the stomach pain and diarrhea all came back and four months after the appendectomy, they removed my gallbladder.
Here it is 8 months after having my gallbladder removed, I am now 21, and I am starting to have problems again. I have constant diarrhea, painful cramps and muscle spasms and abdominal pain. And whenever I started having the cramps a spot in my upper left abdomen in the back (just under my ribcage) hurts and spasms.
So far it isn't emergency problems and I have gotten used to most of the pain, but it is getting very old. And every time I go in to the doctor it seems like the things they give me only make it worse. One good thing is that I overcame being lactose intolerant...not really sure what was up with that but hey, it's a small victory and I'll take it with a smile.

Sorry this is so long....I have had quite a lot of health problems in the past two years and I just wish I could figure out what the heck is going on with my body. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Bonnie

juliansmama07 responded:
im sorry your having so many problems. i started with problems when i was 19 as well, now im 23 and still having issues. A few months after I had my son I started with abdominal pain, nausea and frequent diarrhea. Over the past 4 years I have been from doctor to doctor test after test 2 EGD 1 EUS and my gallbladder was removed. As of yesterday I have a new diagnosis which is sphincter of oddi dysfunction. i am on a new med and scheduled for surgery in august but we wont know for sure if that is the problem until after the surgery. its a rough road. good luck and dont give up, you know your body better than the doctors do

BarnabeeBon replied to juliansmama07's response:
Thanks, and good luck to you as well! I hope your surgery fixes things

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had a "sensitive stomach", but once my daughter was born five years ago, I started having diarrhea. It gradually became 7 days...More

Helpful Tips

25 year ild new to ibs
There us a ibs newsletter at www.help@helpforibs.com . Heather who run the web site has some very good idea's. I was not getting any ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.