Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gallbladder coming out
jujulang posted:
I've been dealing with this so called "IBS" issue for about 5 years now and I'm done. I take benefiber 3 times a day, eat plenty of fresh veggies and fruits,whole grains, probiotics, lean meat, etc. I avoid Dairy totally because it seems to make me worse, but everything points to the gallbladder. Although I didn't have any stones when we did the hida scan the ejection fraction is still only 25% which tells me that I am not getting enough bile acids being deposited into my lower instestines to help speed up stool transit. Hence the constipation.
Where does the bile go once you have the gallbladder removed? I'm assuming it dumps directly into the small intestines?

calgal37 responded:
Only a small fraction of the bile enters the gallbladder for concentration. The rest of the bile fills the common bile duct and some is slowly released during the day - the majority enters the duodenum when hormonally triggered by the food that's taken in while eating & processing that food.

The bile will hopefully continue to do just what it has always done - fill the CBD, etc., etc. If it dumps directly into the small intestine at times other than when food is present it can produce a lot of problems since it its an intestinal irritant without the presence/mixing with food.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey, My name is Amber, I'm 20 years old and currently undergoing testing to try to get properly diagnosed. I became sick when I was about 12, I lo...More

Helpful Tips

Squatting really help!!!
the medical community knows changing the angle of your colon = better bowel movements. i have recently tried a squatty potty and it has ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.