Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I desperatly needs some advice! I'm not sure whats wrong with me.
Anon_230131 posted:
OK....5 years ago I was hospitalized with bloody stools for 5 days, they never said what was wrong with me.

I went to a private gastro doc. he did a colonoscopy that turned up "raw spots" but no official ulcers in my intestine. He told me it was most likely due to the birth-control pills I was taking and so I was taken off of birth-control.

I did seem to do better after that. I have had a few "flares" since that major bleeding episode, but they were minor in comparison and only lasted a few days so I didn't think much of it, and tried to just brush it off.

I do have bouts with diarrhea and constipation frequently. My bowels have not really been healthy sense, but the pain and the blood has subsided pretty much since with the exception of a few times.

Then Last Friday it struck me again, HORRIFIC pain, and blood in my stools. And for three days I would eat and It would go right through me in a painful diarrhea fit! with blood.

However my last bowl movement was Tuesday, and that one was more constipated....however I could still see blood in the stool, just not as much.

Now it has been 4 days since I have had any bowel movement at all. I have taken stool softeners for 3 days now, and still nothing. I just don't know what to think! or what to do! I was told by my doctor never to take laxatives, and to always just do the stool softeners. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME!?

When the bout hits me it hits me hard, and it hits me fast. One minuet I am sitting there perfectly fine, and the next I am doubled over in pain. I feel just awful, fatigued, and in pain most of the time (dull and achy when not having a bowel movement, doubling over horrific pain during a bowel movement)

I suffer from lower back pain as well. Most of my pain is on the left side. I also have moderate joint pain, and was recently diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency. (about 6 months ago) I also have had a consistently high platelet count for over 10 years. My doctor finally suggest I go see a hematologist about 6 months ago, but I am struggling financially, and have been putting it off.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? Is this normal of IBS, or IBD, or something else? What should I do (Accept for the obvious of going and seeing a doctor??) Like I said, financially I am really really struggling. I keep teeling myself if there is anymore blood i will go see a doc, but I can't even get myself to have a bowl movement much less blood.

CalGal37 responded:
Anon, you've GOT to see a doc and find out exactly what's going on. What you're experiencing is not typical of IBS, but it might fall into the category of IBD. Problem is no one but a doc after reviewing all of your records and perhaps doing more testing is going to be able to tell you exactly what's going on. Please call ASAP and make an appointment.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed at 16 yrs old with a nervous stomache and spastic colon. I am now 73 and I still have constipation/diahrea every few weeks. I asume it...More

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.