Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Understanding IBS
5ladydi posted:
Hi. I am a 60 year female and I think I have IBS. All the symptoms seem to fit expect that it seems to be rather uncommon for this to start at such a late age. I haven't gone to the doctor because I fear the testing that may be involved. I think I could manage this on my own if I knew where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you.

CalGal37 responded:
5ladydi, I don't mean to point out the age factor, but since this is something that you say has just started I'd really like to encourage you to see your doc. Many conditions can crop up as we age and IBS is only one of them. Also keep in mind that symptoms of many different GI issues are all similar so it could be difficult to really figure out what is actually wrong. You may assume you have IBS based upon symptoms - which you haven't mentioned - and try to treat that condition yourself, but it would be a shame to try to do that if there is something more serious going on that could have been 'caught and treated' early-on.

I'm sure if you list symptoms there will be individuals here who can give you suggestions on different things to try, but please consider checking things out with your doc.

Also keep in mind that many of us have found doctors are very reluctant to run tests. In many cases you have to beg to get testing done.

5ladydi replied to CalGal37's response:
Thank you for your information.

I know what your saying is the right thing to do. Again, its my fear of the testing that stopping me. With my luck they'll probably want to do every test in the book on me! I never go to doctors because I never get sick. But I am so tired of dealing with this because I am not making any headway on my own. And it does effect my daily life. If I had to go to work every day I couldn't do it.

Would you suggest I make an appointment with a GP first or a Gastroenterologist?

Again, thank you for your response its giving me the little push I think I need.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been sick since the Spring of 2003, which was my senior year of High School. I have had over 10 doctors and more than 5 diagnoses.. for years t...More

Helpful Tips

Squatting really help!!!
the medical community knows changing the angle of your colon = better bowel movements. i have recently tried a squatty potty and it has ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.