Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Totally lost.... possible IBS????
lilred2012 posted:
I am at wits end! I have done all the research I can stand and I can't really find any answers so I was hoping someone can help me. Almost 4 years ago I started having sharp pain in my lower right abdomen that at times made my back hurt very badly (best I can describe it is that feeling of tension and pressure right before you pop your back) I first went to my gyno thinking maybe it was something to do with my lady organs. She ordered ultrasounds in fear I had a twisted ovary, which luckily I did not. She told me to come back in 6 months if the pain continued. After three months I decided to see my family doctor. He ordered a upper GI barium, a lower barium enema, a CT with and without contrast, a fecal occult blood test, and an ultrasound of my abdomen. The answer I got from that was that I have GERD and he suggested that my producing of too much acid caused my stomach pain. He apparently ruled out IBS bc the antispasmodic he ordered did nothing for my pain. The pain comes and goes but when it comes oh man it comes. My back does not always hurt with it, it seems to come more frequently when I am stressed, having a BM does not relieve it, I do have altering periods of constipation and diarrhea (sometimes up to 8 a day!), monthly girl time makes it worse sometimes, I have kept a daily food and symptom journal for 2+ months and can't seem to find a pattern. Nothing seems to make the pain stop. The pain is a sharp stabbing throbbing pain like some one has taken a white hot needle and pierced my internal organ then pulled it out and repeated. It is always in the same spot (slightly behind pelvic bone on the front almost in the groin area) but varies in intensity and at times doubles me over then is gone as quick as it came whereas other times it will last for hours.

If anyone has suggestions to help with the pain, make it go away, or what may be causing it, have similar symptoms, or if it could be IBS I would appreciate it.

CalGal37 responded:
Lilred, the area you're describing could be at the terminal ileum, where the small intestine joins the large intestine. Many people complain of discomfort in that area, so you're not alone in what you're feeling. It's possible you could be feeling discomfort due to pulling or tugging of the connective tissue in that area - it can result from fecal material passing through - you might want to consider checking with someone trained in visceral manipulation. It's a gentle form of osteopathic treatment that can help with structural issues.

Organs need to move or slide over each other while processing the contents of ingestion. In some cases, that doesn't always happen properly so sometimes small restrictions can cause discomfort or out-right pain.

In well-trained hands VM is worth a try. You can check with the Barral Institute for individuals in your area.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had a "sensitive stomach", but once my daughter was born five years ago, I started having diarrhea. It gradually became 7 days...More

Helpful Tips

Squatting really help!!!
the medical community knows changing the angle of your colon = better bowel movements. i have recently tried a squatty potty and it has ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.