Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP!
plitker posted:
I have been suffering from a nervous stomach my whole life, however about 6 months ago I started suffering from nausea, vomiting, and back pain on top of it. I went to the doctor, had some tests done and he diagnosed me with IBS. I cannot find any information that says IBS causes nausea and vomiting. My doctor prescribed me Amitriptyline. I asked him multiple times if this would stop the nausea, vomiting, and back pain and he said yes. However I got the feeling he was never really listening to my concerns and the symptoms I was describing.
My first question is this: Does IBS cause nausea, vomiting, and back pain? And if so, will this medicine actually help?

anzach responded:
I have had IBS for 16 years. The first 6 years were filled with recurrent trips to the hospital (being labeled drug seeking), multiple surgeries to help with symptoms and finally a program of self management that includes stress reduction on a major scale and pain relief when a large attack hits. Nausea, vomiting, severe diarrhea and cramps in the upper, mid and lower abdomen as well as lower back pain have all been part of my list of symptoms. I haven't tried Amitriptyline in a long time, I didn't find relief from it. If you do, use it. I get the best relief and quality of life by staying unmediated until the first symptom of an impending attack, then taking double my recommended dosage of a smooth muscle relaxant and a pain reliever. Then I rest for several hours and the pain/symptoms abate.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had stomach and digestive issues since I was young, but the last 5 years or so, it has gotten so much worse (I am now 49). In these last few ye...More

Helpful Tips

How I am controlling IBS
I recently retired from my job, and for some reason my IBS was out of control. Every two weeks I was down for 3 - 6 days. (Possibly due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.