Skip to content
Being in Public
An_240785 posted:
I have this bad anxiety when i am out with friends or away on vacation. I cant take public transportation because fear that i will out of now where get pain in my stomach and have to go to the bathroom. This anxiety is bad and it ruins my life especailly my social life. I am going away soon and just found out i have to take a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel which is an hour and this scares me bc i will be in another country and i cant just ask them to stop for a restroom.

I take Elavil to help abdominal pain and helps the diarrehia but i still get the feeling when i am out that i have to keep going to the bathroom or just feel like i have to but dont. I have also been subscribed Librax which i am suppose to take when i am out before i eat. this slows down the stomach muscles but its starting not to work for me anymore.
I need help advice anything!!!
I want to be able to go out and not worry about finding a bathroom or not cancelling plans bc i of fear that i wont feel well.

acdc6869 responded:
I totally understand what your going through because I'm also in the same boat. I have been suffering from feeling "bathroom" anxiety anytime I'm out in public. Just know that your not alone I have been taking antidepressants to try managing the anxiety that I feel may be similar to yours. I suggest talking to someone because even though you take the medication to stop the stomach issues, its might be helpful to overcome the anxiety that comes with these symptoms.

For traveling, I suggest you bring something along with you that would help distract you like a book, music, games, etc. Take the stomach medicines just in case of a sudden urge to use the bathroom, and know that its only an hour compared to the hours of fun you'll have on your trip. Hope this helps!

Janemarie55 replied to acdc6869's response:
I thought I was the only one who had the bathroom anxiety thing? It's good to know I'm not alone.

help21me replied to acdc6869's response:
Thanks for the respond. I thought i was the only crazy one. Its horrible. I am always fine but i just hate getting that fear or feeling like somethings going to happen and i am stuck. Finding something to distract myself will def. help. I am traveling with my boyfriend so its hard to tell him what goes on in my head and discuss my ibs and bathroom issues.

barbarafromtucson replied to help21me's response:
I know how much fun travel is with IBS...I work for an airline and I thought my life was 'over' when I developed it. I hardly travel anymore--only to places where I have family/friends. I have discovered Cruising--going on a cruise is a great vacation cause on the cruiseship--you have your cabin with a bathroom, as well as bathrooms thruout the ship, and then at the ports...you can decide to either stay on board or go off if you're feeling up to it. I "worry" the most when I'm on roadtrips--the drive from Tucson to Phoenix is very rare for me to do...but when I travel, regardless of method, I really restrict my diet and I don't eat on the actual day of travel--when I don't have much food in my system--it helps ease the fear a bit. I do bring books/mp3/etc. to get my mind off the 'topic'. You should tell your boyfriend about your ibs...not so much in 'detail' but enough where he will be supportive of you--like he can help you get your mind off the 'subject'.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Started being Lactose Intolerant at age 17. Become diagnosed with IBS at age 24.

Helpful Tips

25 year ild new to ibs
There us a ibs newsletter at www.help@helpforibs.com . Heather who run the web site has some very good idea's. I was not getting any ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.