Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tried To Go To The Doctor Today, But...
Janemarie55 posted:
about an hour before my appointment time I started getting cramps and kept having to go and have a bowel movement, so I had to call and cancel my appointment. I was going to the doctor because out of the blue I will get cramps and have either loose stools or diarrhea that I can only control after about 3 hours taking Imodium. I've been keeping a food journal for over a month and this doesn't seem to be related to anything I eat. My last "attack" with the cramps and diarrhea was on 10/10, and I've been having normal BM's since then, up until today. Does this sound like IBS? Now, all I have to do is get into the doctor without having an attack. I've had about 6 of these out of the blue instances in the past 2 years. Now, I don't want to leave my house. Please, any ideas of what I can do? I am going to call the Dr. tomorrow.

tim283 responded:
sounds exactly like what i have, i have had this problem for over a year now, its gotten worse since i lost my job so it def seems stress related. i too was keeping a journal but it didn't seem help much but i did notice that cutting out foods with preservatives did. my last episode was Monday after a bowl of cereal.(i maybe lactose intolerant) . the pain was so bad it led to a panic attack. the doc prescribed dycyclomine Ive been taking fora couple days but it makes really tired so im gonna stop. the next thing im gonna try is a paleo diet. good luck to ya, i wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy.................

barbarafromtucson responded:
I hear you...I've had to cancel appointments because of having an episode.

You have to fast for 24 hours before the appointment--eat as little as possible. You can use mapquest to map the route between your house and the doctor's office, and they have a feature that will show you where gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc. are in case you need to make a pitstop. That is helpful.

Also...recruit a friend to go with you. I have a friend who goes with me--she helps me get my mind off the 'topic'--focused on something else. And if I start 'feeling' it...she can drive and I can lay down in the back seat, as being horizontal sometimes helps me.

You can also get those Poise pads--they're in the section with Depends...but they're pads--they look like MaxiPads for giants...wearing one of those might ease your fear of having an accident. You can also get those incontinence pads or dog-training pads to put on the seat of your car, so if you have an accident, it won't evidence of it in your car. I usually travel with an extra pair of pants/underpants in my car too--so if there is any leakage, I can change into clean clothes.

A bit of it is in your mind--if you can get your focus on something else, you can sometimes prevent being sick. It's a LOT easier said than done, and sometimes not avoidable. That's why taking precautions--mapping out pitstops, the pads, etc. can help make the trip more bearable and does help to ease the mind/fear.

Each doctor appointment will get you one step closer to a cure. Keep us posted!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had IBS symptoms for several years. I've tried numerous medications and have not had any relief. My last medication was Librax, but it stop...More

Helpful Tips

IBS problems
I have had this same problem since I had my gall bladder removed about 18 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse. Anything with artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.